Just For Fun

Pr0teusUnbound

GPO
Registered
this is something i found and id'd this summer. the rock comes from the Gravel Point formation in northern Michigan and contains multiple round fossils around 1 1/2" in diameter. can anyone guess what they are?

Attachments

• conv_305352.jpg
    conv_305352.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 127
Well, I have no experiance with Pennsylvanian fossils other than what I've viewed and read on line, and since you posted in the Cephalopod Id forum I'll rule out gastropods and guess that they are ammonites of some sort...:hmm:

Architeuthoceras;194185 said:
I think they are Euomphalid Gastropods :smile:

dingdingding! we have a winner!
i honestly thought they were ammonites when i found them, but they didnt match any of the Devonian ammonites around here. personally i wonder if these snails lived like ammonite early in their life cycle.

Well I am proud of my uneducated guess but it is only because every time Terri posts pictures I think look like little ammonites they turn out to be gastropods :oops:

I know it's WAY more fun to go out & collect your own, but "The Bone Room" (boneroom.com) has some crazy ammonite fossils. They have whole, split & polished, which are beautiful, & even pyritized, which I think are intensely unique & eye-catching. It looks like most are sourced from Morocco & Madagascar, with the pyritized specimens coming from Russia. Definitely worth a look for you fossilphiles out there...

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back