• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just for Clarification

Lime

O. vulgaris
Registered
Well, the time for me to get an octopus is drawing closer and closer. I just want to make sure that any octopus would eat the following species or snails and crabs, so I don't spend $50 on them and realize I can't use them. Anyways here are the species:

- Astraea Snail (Astraea tecta)
- Cerith Snail (Cerithium spp.)
- Onyx Nassarius Snail (Ilyanassa spp.)
- Margarita Snail (Margarites pupillus)
- Nassarius Snail (Nassarius spp.)
- Nerite Snail (Nerita spp.)
- Blue Leg Reef Hermit Crab (Calcinus tricolor)
- Red Leg Reef Hermit Crab (Calcinus spp.)
- Green Leg Reef Hermit Crab (Calcinus spp.)
- Zebra Hermit Crab (Calcinus laevimanus)

If you think any octopus would not eat any of these, please post it.

Thank you all.

I believe it just depends on the octo. any of those are potental foods for an octo, it just depends on the octo's preferance. one bimac may eat Astraea Snail's and another bimac may not like them and only want to eat Cerith Snail's. So it will be trail and error at first. just don't buy a big supply at first. buy a variety and see what it likes.

Someone correct me if im wrong?

Also pick up half a dozen fresh shrimp after your octo is in residence for a day or two. Get the skin on kind and if you can find them with heads on, all the better. You can remove the skin and head but you might offer it whole on a stick (nylon feeding stick or plain old bamboo skewers work well). Be sure to remove anything it does not eat in 5 min as dead shrimp produce a lot of ammonia. It is best to freeze them when you get them home but be sure they are fully thawed and at room temperature before offering.

If you can find some small live crabs (fiddlers are usually easiest to find but any small crab is usually enjoyed by even the smallest of octos) add them to your list. They keep well in a bucket with saltwater and some form of platform to allow them to climb out of the water. Be sure to remove any dead crabs from your holding tank and change the water if it smells or a dead one is not removed promptly.

Octopuses usually prefer crabs and shrimp to snails. In addition to crabs, you might try thawing out frozen shrimp and offering a piece on a feeding stick.

Nancy

it also depends on the size of your octo. bimacs sometimes take small stuff like snails when theyre young, but ignore them when theyre mature

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back