• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Just acquired a Euprymna scolopes

Just got a Euprymna scolopes and It seem's as though it is nocturnal, he won't come out very often also he's measuring in at some 25mm or so-very small, does his small size mean that he is a juvenile or could he be a fully matured adult allready?, he's hiding out most of the time, I have fed it live shrimp and it hasn't taken a bite of the food, he will only come out at night to find more stealthy places to hide, he's a little difficult to see, only had him for a 2 day's and allready I have panicked and thought that he had magically dissapeared somehow, only to find some relief in seeing that it buries itself deep in the coral sand, During the day is when he buries himself the most, it is hard to keep up with, but what bother's me the most is that he won't eat, what does this mean, is he dying by any chance?
there's not much I know about him or his species(Sepiolidae), has anyone here dealt with this type of ceph, any info would be greatly appreciated,thank's.

Where in the world did you get a hold of one???????????????????????????
I have been looking everywhere no one in cali that I know is willing to bring them in anymore due to a very high death rate. Live shrimp is the way to go try mysid if you can they are your best bet.

Hi
the Euprymna genus are small at best with a maximum size of ~3cm so your guy is pretty much an adult.

It is an animal that would normally bury inmud so beware of your coral gravel injuring the skin!

Is has been studied a lot in labs due to the light reaction given off by its skin cells at night so, like Mike says, a good hour or two on the PC should dig up some info :smile:

The best thing to try is deffinetly shrimp and small crabs to feed it but it may just be feeding at night, i doubt non-living food would be accepted either :frown:

Colin said:
Hi
the Euprymna genus are small at best with a maximum size of ~3cm so your guy is pretty much an adult.

It is an animal that would normally bury inmud so beware of your coral gravel injuring the skin!

Is has been studied a lot in labs due to the light reaction given off by its skin cells at night so, like Mike says, a good hour or two on the PC should dig up some info :smile:

The best thing to try is deffinetly shrimp and small crabs to feed it but it may just be feeding at night, i doubt non-living food would be accepted either :frown:

colin,
oh it's an adult then :cry: , on top of having a very short life span,3-10 month's he's an adult, oh man, how long do you think he has?
well i'm changing the gravel a.s.a.p., haven't seen this display of light from it's skin cell's, he's a shy and scared cephy, i'm feeding him shrimp for now, i've made a bit of progress but he's not eating as he should be, thank's for the info, will acquire another one as soon s I get a chance.

stit's,
he arrived a few day's ago, he's originally from hawaii, the reason I have one is because they are so very easy to catch, they are near the hawaiian coast, alway's in shallow water, and they're eyes usually glow when you spot them with a flash light, they are fairly easy to catch, diver's alway's see them and catch them, I haven't heard about a high death rate though, thank ou all for the replies.

Worse case scenario may be an adult that has already wandered into senescence and isn't eating but don't give up!
i'd try leaving the tank with no lights on for a few days and dont disturb the sand or anything... just give it a few days at least with no disturbance and chuck in plenty food.. might be eating amphipods at night?

a bit of progress, he's munching up food at the moment, i suppose it was just a matter of time before he would come out and explore the scenery, he's hiding out most of the time, but i've noticed a nocturnal pattern, since the first day i've got him, he seem's to come out and have a go at about 2:30am, very strange but it's nothing serious, not as active as I hoped but I won't give up, hopefully he will be more active during the day.

also it's been about 8 day's since i've had him, don't you think he would have adjusted~adapted to the relocation (midsized tank), he should be acting out, going wild like "pinky" (my o.vulgaris), trying to escape or something, I don't know, what does his species (Sepiolidae) usually do, act like, etc.Haven't really found much info from my LFS.

You have more of a nocturnal species there and also the fact that its a young adult makes it harder... baby bimacs can take a couple of months and baby cuttlefish about the same... at least it is eating now tho

have you seen any bioluminescence at all?

Also, get posting plenty pics !!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

Colin said:
have you seen any bioluminescence at all?

Also, get posting plenty pics !!!!!!!!!!! :smile:
haven't seen any bioluminescence, biologist's say it happen's after a few week's in captivity, i'll prove em wrong, he'll be feeling comfy in a week or so, pic's on the double, need film, black and white. :biggrin2: ,

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back