Just acquired a Euprymna scolopes

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by o.vulgaris, Jul 31, 2003.

1. o.vulgaris

o.vulgaris Vampyroteuthis Registered

Just got a Euprymna scolopes and It seem's as though it is nocturnal, he won't come out very often also he's measuring in at some 25mm or so-very small, does his small size mean that he is a juvenile or could he be a fully matured adult allready?, he's hiding out most of the time, I have fed it live shrimp and it hasn't taken a bite of the food, he will only come out at night to find more stealthy places to hide, he's a little difficult to see, only had him for a 2 day's and allready I have panicked and thought that he had magically dissapeared somehow, only to find some relief in seeing that it buries itself deep in the coral sand, During the day is when he buries himself the most, it is hard to keep up with, but what bother's me the most is that he won't eat, what does this mean, is he dying by any chance?
    there's not much I know about him or his species(Sepiolidae), has anyone here dealt with this type of ceph, any info would be greatly appreciated,thank's.

2. mikeconstable

mikeconstable GPO Registered

Euprymna scolopes

I'm sure there was something about keeping/captive breeding of these on the internet - in Hawaii somewhere? They have bacterial lights and expel most of the bacteria each day? Will try Google.
    (Found lots, including a 1996 article at http://www.sciencenews.org/sn_arch/9_14_96/fob2.htm arti, but not the one I remember!)

3. stits

stits Blue Ring Registered

Where in the world did you get a hold of one???????????????????????????
    I have been looking everywhere no one in cali that I know is willing to bring them in anymore due to a very high death rate. Live shrimp is the way to go try mysid if you can they are your best bet.

4. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Hi
    the Euprymna genus are small at best with a maximum size of ~3cm so your guy is pretty much an adult.

It is an animal that would normally bury inmud so beware of your coral gravel injuring the skin!

Is has been studied a lot in labs due to the light reaction given off by its skin cells at night so, like Mike says, a good hour or two on the PC should dig up some info :)

The best thing to try is deffinetly shrimp and small crabs to feed it but it may just be feeding at night, i doubt non-living food would be accepted either :(

5. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

He's cute! Is he actually sitting in your hand?

Carol

6. o.vulgaris

colin,
    oh it's an adult then :cry: , on top of having a very short life span,3-10 month's he's an adult, oh man, how long do you think he has?
    well i'm changing the gravel a.s.a.p., haven't seen this display of light from it's skin cell's, he's a shy and scared cephy, i'm feeding him shrimp for now, i've made a bit of progress but he's not eating as he should be, thank's for the info, will acquire another one as soon s I get a chance.

stit's,
    he arrived a few day's ago, he's originally from hawaii, the reason I have one is because they are so very easy to catch, they are near the hawaiian coast, alway's in shallow water, and they're eyes usually glow when you spot them with a flash light, they are fairly easy to catch, diver's alway's see them and catch them, I haven't heard about a high death rate though, thank ou all for the replies.

7. Colin

Worse case scenario may be an adult that has already wandered into senescence and isn't eating but don't give up!
    i'd try leaving the tank with no lights on for a few days and dont disturb the sand or anything... just give it a few days at least with no disturbance and chuck in plenty food.. might be eating amphipods at night?

8. o.vulgaris

colin, gonna take your advice, let's see if it work's. :wink:

9. Colin

keep us up to date with it :)

10. o.vulgaris

a bit of progress, he's munching up food at the moment, i suppose it was just a matter of time before he would come out and explore the scenery, he's hiding out most of the time, but i've noticed a nocturnal pattern, since the first day i've got him, he seem's to come out and have a go at about 2:30am, very strange but it's nothing serious, not as active as I hoped but I won't give up, hopefully he will be more active during the day.

11. o.vulgaris

also it's been about 8 day's since i've had him, don't you think he would have adjusted~adapted to the relocation (midsized tank), he should be acting out, going wild like "pinky" (my o.vulgaris), trying to escape or something, I don't know, what does his species (Sepiolidae) usually do, act like, etc.Haven't really found much info from my LFS.

12. Colin

You have more of a nocturnal species there and also the fact that its a young adult makes it harder... baby bimacs can take a couple of months and baby cuttlefish about the same... at least it is eating now tho

13. o.vulgaris

yeah, as long as he's eating and trying to stay alive i'll do anything possible to make sure he feel's at home. :D

14. Colin

have you seen any bioluminescence at all?

Also, get posting plenty pics !!!!!!!!!!! :)

15. o.vulgaris

haven't seen any bioluminescence, biologist's say it happen's after a few week's in captivity, i'll prove em wrong, he'll be feeling comfy in a week or so, pic's on the double, need film, black and white. :D ,

16. Colin

im sure that would be really impresive to see happen in a tank...

Are you planning on getting more of them?

17. o.vulgaris

yeah, i'm planning on getting another that is not fully matured as the one I have now, i really want to get another one, they are really wonderful ceph's, hopefully i can get another type of ceph some time soon, also i wonder if they breed in captivity, i haven't heard anything about it, maybe it will be succesful. :D
    also someone pm'ed me saying if i'm in hawaii, well i'm not , live in the ol' u.s. :)

18. o.vulgaris

New's has been made, clearly i saw what many of you will hopefully see some day, as many scienist's have examined their symbiotic bacteria, they have been able to see the bioluminesce in action, now I have witnessed the bioluminesce, I can't stress to you all how fascinating it is to see no'r can I tell you that I cannot take flash photos of the critter, It will be a frightening show, being a extremely cute ceph and being able to "glow" is what attracted me to it at first, now if you care to buy one just get one from nrcc.

19. o.vulgaris

where to get one you ask, well i got one from nrcc, clearly the only people able to supply this critter, http://www.nrcc.utmb.edu/PRICES.html
    being raised from a lab and tamed will excite most of you, especially the most advanced of aquarist's.

20. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately, people cannot just get one from the NRCC. The NRCC restricts the distribution of its animals:

(quote from website)
    Please understand that the NRCC is first and foremost a university based research facility supported by National and State agencies to facilitate research and education efforts using cephalopod molluscs. Because of this we can supply live squids, cuttlefishes, octopuses and chambered Nautilus ONLY to bona-fide researchers officially affiliated with either Public or Private Institutions of Education or Research, educators and teachers at any level via their affiliated institution and Public Aquariums fulfilling their charters for public education. Regrettably, we cannot provide animals to the private sector targeting the home aquarium market. Thank you for your understanding.

So, most of us will not be getting our cephs from there.

Nancy