Junior the Bimac?? Maybe...

So I got the bimac? in today. It was SUPER tiny so I decided to call him Junior. I have a few pics I will post later tonight. Unfortunately I have the worlds worst camera so they aren't very good, plus hes so small it was hard to get a good shot.

Body wise he is about 1:2 or 1:3 mantel to arms. From tip to tip (swimming) I would say hes about an inch long. He is kind of neat looking with the way he movies... It took a long time for HP to swim in the tank and this little guy was in a critter carrier and just swimming around everywhere. I acclimated him for about 3 hours and put him in the tank. At first he wouldnt hide which worried me but so I turned on the lights (very low level light) and he went to hid in the rock I gave him.

I will post pics in a while.

Oh BTW because he is so small I worry about being able to care for him properly... if you have advice or worry that I am doing something wrong, PLEASE let me know. I am totally open to constructive criticism.

Welcome to your new little buddy! I know with some of my small babies II kept them in a critter carrier for a little while, inside of the bigger tank as it was easy to feed them and there was no doubt they were eating. The one baby I had I hooked up a little cartridge bubble filter inside the keeper. Little Pumpkin I believe was the one! Anyway, sounds like you did good with acclimation. If you have some tiny crabs or shrimp, I would leave them in there for the baby to catch at first. Looking forward to pics! Is Junior the name of choice??

Sorry these were the best I could do. Yes Junior is his name. I picked it cause hes so small. I will have some small mysis shrimp on Friday. I ordered from Paul when I realized just how small this little guy was. I will see about picking some up tomorrow just so I can try feeding him sooner. If I cant find any would it be bad to wait to feed him Friday?

Junior3.jpg

Junior1.jpg

Junior4.jpg

Junior2.jpg

Well today I went to check on Junior and as I expected he has escaped and is now in the main tank somewhere. Because he was so small I think its highly unlikely that he will survive. I was reading D's thread on her babies and after looking at her pictures of the ones that died they looked to be about the same size as the 2 week old babies.

I will hold out hope that he will find food on his own but if I cant find him I cant feed him. I will update more if anything changes.

Thank you. I also worry about Junior because Sedona is now in the same tank. D told me that siblings have been kept successfully together but I still worry. I am crossing my fingers that they can live together... I really hope if they do both live that they are either both male or both female... I really don't want to breed inbred octos.

Hopefully they are the same species. Inbreeding with cephalopods does not seem to be an issue for several generations if the word of mouth reports I had with the mercs were common and is likely to occur in the wild with this species. I only had one generation of inbreds and the three that survived as adults lived a normal lifespan. Roy and Richard, however, did not have successful breeding at all with the little chierchiae.

HA! I didnt even think of that! Same species would be a great start inbreeding or not. I dont think its likely though that Junior and Sedona are from the same brooding based on their size difference. I know that size can very greatly but would it be such a great difference at such an early age? Junior was no larger than a inch from tip to tip and I will be posting pics of Sedona here soon but shes about 3 inches long.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back