joubini?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by norgebyblood, Feb 14, 2007.

1. norgebyblood

norgebyblood O. vulgaris Registered

anyone know about these guys in aquariums? i saw one for sale recently and would really like to look into them for a future home octo. thanks!

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Those octopuses labelled "joubini" are usually the dwarf "mercatoris". We have several people keeping mercatoris - search for mercatoris to find them all. Einey (Einstein), Animal Mother's octopus, was a mercatoris. Lev has a thread about his efforts at raising mercatoris babies.

Nancy

3. tywtly

tywtly GPO Registered

4. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

I have kept quite a few O. mercatoris and reared several clutches. Frankly, as aquarium species, they are pretty dull. They remain tightly holed up during the day and only come out at night. They are shy and not interactive. And you will have an adult for only a few weeks. However, rearing the hatchlings is interesting and doable.

Roy

5. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

What is the difference between mercatoris and joubini, in addition to the size of the eggs?

The photo in the link below, if it is really joubini, suggests a bluish color similar to briareus, but previous photos I've seen don't show this at all.

Nancy