Jennifer Morgue

Cairnos

O. vulgaris
Registered
Anyone read the Charles Stross book Jennifer Morgue? It's the second in a cool series. The relevant bit is that this book involves a little known piece of diplomacy, basically we don't mess with the ocean below 1km, and in return the ancient dwellers of the sea don't eradicate all life from the surface of the planet :smile:

Graeme;90205 said:
Never heard of it. Interesting prospect though.:smile: What's the series called?

The first book is called 'The Atrocity Archive'. Among it's highlights is discovering why checking the location of fire extinguishers ahead of time is something you should always do :wink:

Cairnos;89334 said:
Anyone read the Charles Stross book Jennifer Morgue? It's the second in a cool series. The relevant bit is that this book involves a little known piece of diplomacy, basically we don't mess with the ocean below 1km, and in return the ancient dwellers of the sea don't eradicate all life from the surface of the planet :smile:

It's a bit late, isn't it? Sounds like I have some reading to do too!

Unfortunate, if not somewhat appropriate surname.

It is totally wrong to expose a computer geek to fantasy books like this! Ordered the first, waiting on the second to come out in paperback :razz:

One really nice thing though was that I found a used copy of Cephalopod Behaviour for $32 :wink:

Matt Jones;90307 said:
Anyone read 'The Kraken Wakes' by John Wyndham? I've probably asked this before...

Years and Years and years ago, it was assigned reading my first year in high school, consequently I remember nothing about it! I'll need to find a copy and have a reread!

J

Matt Jones;90307 said:
Anyone read 'The Kraken Wakes' by John Wyndham? I've probably asked this before...

You didn't think the melting icecaps were due to human produced global warming did you :goofysca:

Read it when I was about 13 in a collection of his stories. I really liked it (but then it's by John Wyndham so that really didn't need to be said :smile: ). Also apparently it was published in the states as 'Out of the Deeps' at one point (Why do they do that!)

Also in the book was The Chrysalids which is one of my favourites for .....no particular reason ("Zealand? No you must have misheard, they must have said New Sealand"):wink:

By one of those small-world coincidences, Charlie ... er, Charles ... is a former colleague of mine. Before he became a full-time writer, we used to work together at an Internet startup in Edinburgh.

Incidentally, anyone looking for other works building on the Cthulhu mythos might want to look at weirdass.net. If you have hours to kill, check out their archives for the full 'Starry Ones' cycle, which mixes up Lovecraft, UFO lore, and a dozen other influences (plus a rather wry take on cosmology and theology). Don't be put off by the sometimes cheesy 3D art - there's some clever stuff here.

Hmmm.

Talking of hard to find Cthulhuness. I'm trying to track down some Ramsay Campbell stuff. I got a collection book, but it didn't have the stories I was looking for (Before the Storm and Inhabitant of the Lake).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back