• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

JellyFish as a pet

AM,
We were also going to use a hex tank (albeit 4' tall and only about 12" dia) until we decided against it. Not only are the impressive ones hard to get, are not at all suited to an aquarium, they only live a short time.

Having worked with jellyfish before I can say they are difficult to keep not only do most need a specially designed tank that has to be "tuned in" so you get the right flow/movement but almost all require live food such as artemia, rotifers and a lot of the species are feed chopped up jellyfish that's enriched with various additives. The Mangrove jellyfish would be one of the easest to keep as they do not need the kreisel but would need high lighting and still some live food or you might me able to squirt frozen food to them. But in general jellyfish do not do to well in captivity they evetually get too bet up by running into the sides of the tank and die.

Well I did a small amount of research and apparently if you are willing to throw down a couple thousand or so you can purchase jelly-specific cages which are very much like the ones you might see at an aquarium exhibit.

here's just one that I found: Jellyfish Aquariums Tanks Jelliquarium Display Ephyra Medusa Polyp Breeding Midwater Systems

this site features many different jelly fish set-ups, all of which are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced and dont seem to reliable. However, I did find a Cassiopeia specific aquarium for 1,560$ which would be the same if you had seen it at your LFS (considering how much of a rip-off they are).

Not a cool addition at all. They are only reef safe because they won't harm anything, but the almost always don't survive very long and don't actually do well in a standard reef tank.

The diver I do some webwork for suggests not considering them because not only do they die off quickly, nothing else lives in the areas of the reef that they populate. He has done a lot of hands on research (some with Martin Moe) on the dieing reefs in the keys and I trust his evaluation. If you should want to experiment (they are not endangered or even close), please consider a species only tank and start a journal for the rest of us that are curious ;>).

If you search the online reefing/saltwater communities you can find plenty of people who have tried to keep these. So please, before anyone decides to experiment, please do some background reading! :smile:

There's a japanese steakhouse / sushi bar in the Seattle area that has small fake jellies. It's cheating for sure, but obviously MUCH easier to maintain!

Look pretty real to I must admit!

They need to be in tanks with no corners, and I read an article in either Tropical Fish Hobbyist or Aquarium Fish International about how difficult they are. There's a big jelly exhibit at my local aquarium, they have a whole breeding lab set-up for them, very interesting stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back