January POTM Poll

You'll find the photos above or below the posts, depending on how you've configured your posts (mine are more recent at top). There is a little circle by each photo for voting. After you've clicked on the circle, click on Vote Now. You can also see the results by clicking on View Poll Results on the right. The results are given as percentages of the total vote and appear beside the photo.

These photos area stunning! It was hard to choose just one. We should make up a ceph calendar some day!

Thanks, L8 2 RISE for managing this competition!

Nancy

Nice idea! Hows this then for a reward for winning, from now on, at the end of every year that I am able to do this, I will make a calendar and for each month of the year, will be the winners photo for that month of the previous year. (so January 09 POTM will be January 10 Calendar pic) I know a website where I can set it up and then people can order it if they want it.... waddaya think :biggrin2:

I was going to make a similar suggestion. Possibly, the other 5 could be in smaller boxes under the main photo, depending upon the software (it may only have one color page with the months on separate pages). Perhaps we could have an annual winner and the prize would be a copy of the calendar but I am not sure how we would finanance this ...

What is the calender website. I wanted to get one printed for our saltwater tank forum but I had do do a minimum of 100 at $8 each. Needless to say I did not have $800 to drop and there were not 100 interested members.

Shutterfly does beautiful calendars, and you can arrange it so that people can print their own from the folder you set up. However, they are more expensive, about $25 unless they are having a sale.

I think we'd have to get written permission from all the photographers to use their photos, but most people would be pleased at the idea.

Nancy

Nancy;131618 said:
I think we'd have to get written permission from all the photographers to use their photos, but most people would be pleased at the idea.

Nancy

I think we can ammend the rules (getting permission for this month's winners) to include acceptance of the use of the photo for a calendar rather than having to have everyone sign off after the fact.

Agree with all this, also might suggest that instead of photobucket, folks upload their pictures to our own gallery? I'm not sure why we wouldn't do it that way...? And it would be best if we could use the thumbnail version of the photos in the poll itself, and clicking on it brings you to the full-size version. It's a bit hard to take it all in in the current state, but with these improvements I think this would be a great program.

Agree, you can't go wrong with Shutterfly or Snapfish. Note CafePress supports calendars as well (although I haven't seen them) -- here is the TONMO.com CafePress store, which is in dire need of overhaul:
http://www.cafepress.com/tonmo

dwhatley;131613 said:
I was going to make a similar suggestion. Possibly, the other 5 could be in smaller boxes under the main photo, depending upon the software (it may only have one color page with the months on separate pages). Perhaps we could have an annual winner and the prize would be a copy of the calendar but I am not sure how we would finanance this ...

That's another great idea with the calendar! And I'm sure we can find a way to finance a winner's calendar. Hey we could charge 5 bucks for submissions and then I'll use that to pay for the calendar, I'm sure there won't be much left over, so to avoid the trouble, I'd just have to hold onto it :sagrin:. I'll also plan on doing an annual winner from now.

jellyman;131616 said:
What is the calender website. I wanted to get one printed for our saltwater tank forum but I had do do a minimum of 100 at $8 each. Needless to say I did not have $800 to drop and there were not 100 interested members.

There's lots of websites out there that do it, some of them are listed below, I haven't done any searching yet, I'll save that for later, but you should be able to find some...

Nancy;131618 said:
Shutterfly does beautiful calendars, and you can arrange it so that people can print their own from the folder you set up. However, they are more expensive, about $25 unless they are having a sale.

Nancy

dwhatley;131620 said:
I think we can ammend the rules (getting permission for this month's winners) to include acceptance of the use of the photo for a calendar rather than having to have everyone sign off after the fact.

Great point Nancy and great solution dwhatley, I'll change the R&R's now, and then get permission from the winner of this month.

tonmo;131626 said:
Agree with all this, also might suggest that instead of photobucket, folks upload their pictures to our own gallery? I'm not sure why we wouldn't do it that way...? And it would be best if we could use the thumbnail version of the photos in the poll itself, and clicking on it brings you to the full-size version. It's a bit hard to take it all in in the current state, but with these improvements I think this would be a great program.

Agree, you can't go wrong with Shutterfly or Snapfish. Note CafePress supports calendars as well (although I haven't seen them) -- here is the TONMO.com CafePress store, which is in dire need of overhaul:
TONMO.com

I set it up that way so that it stayed anonymous everyone e-mailed or PMed me their pics and then I put the top six on my photobucket and put them up on the poll. Also, by e-mailing them to me, it's easier for me to keep track of all the photo's. But from now on, how about I load them onto our gallery and then go from there, that way it looks better and still stays anonymous.

Thanks all for the idea's and support!

I suppose there really is no need, it was just a suggestion made when I first suggested starting up a POTM thing and I was just incorporating every one's idea's. Also, most people know who took all of these pics as they have either seen them before or they know the octopus/cuttle by it's appearance. For example, I think it's pretty obvious to anyone that looks at most of the major post on the board who took the pic at the bottom. But now that I have it set up, I think that I would like to keep it this way just because I have figured out how I am going to organize it all and keep it in order. I'll change the rules so we don't have to worry too much about anonymity, but I would like if everyone were to continue e-mailing pics to me as opposed to posting. I will, however, start using our gallery to post the pics for the poll instead of photobucket.

Thanks for the thanks, I'm just happy to make continue making tonmo a great place!

You mean not everyone has photo opportunities of a Gloomy octopus, or that you can count the number of hummelincki keepers (and where is the stunning briarius?), and maori are in how many local aquariums? Ok the second place (so far) is a mystery and the Officianalis but I agree with Tony that annominity is pretty useless. It might even be interesting if the photographer was allowed (but not mandatory) a paragraph about the photo (giving a caption for the calendar :biggrin2:).

Not to put another fly in your well healed ointment but I was thinking that choosing is so difficult that if we could pick two rather than one, it might be a bit more representative. I was watching Sedna's post soliciting suggestions for which of her pictures to consider entering into a contest. The results were interesting since multiples were allowed. First choice varied a lot but certain photos showed up in almost all lists. Just a thought :tomato:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back