[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Jabba, Jool, Ziro, Zorba - S. Bandensis

They are as big as their eggs now and FAT (almost as big around as long), about an inch long. One is slightly largest, two about the same size and one considerably smaller. It is about time to try to name them but I am having trouble coming up with related names in groups of four :roll:. I hope that the small one is not the only female!

I have been feeding one shore shrimp twice a day and that seems to keep them hungry enough to hunt when I offer food but well sated. I have some small crabs to offer that I will try in a week or so but they still prefer the smallest shrimp even though they can take down larger food (this is how I know they are not hungry, they will leave the larger shrimp alone until they decide I am not offering something else). The crabs are small but larger than shrimp they prefer.

7WeeksHatchlings_02ps.jpg 7WeeksHatchlings_01ps.jpg

Post #8 shows their new hatch size for comparison

Last edited:
Ohhh, I like the idea but I have to look up Clark and Carson :roll:

THIS is cool about Dr. Clark: Clark is the founding director (1955 to 1967) of the former Cape Haze Marine Laboratory, now known as the Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, Florida.[5] In 1968. I ordered a copy of Lady with a Spear.

You have started my creative thinking and the results may not be appreciated. Thinking along the lines of Ku, OShea, Rossy(maybe Rosey) but not quite there yet :sagrin:

Last edited:
I remember (but did not read) Silent Spring and Amazon has an updated version that includes corrected science. I may get it later but reading over the authors' book summary, I was more inclined to want to read the more (apparently) uplifting account of Clark's work and adventures.

The bandensis probably don't need much current (note @cuttlegirl 's finger wagging) but I wrote and asked @Bret Grasse MBA if he had successfully tried his tumbler with bandensis eggs and got a positive response. Something that was a bit odd with these and may or may not have been associated with the tumbling is that the outer ink never faded and I could not see the animals in the eggs, additionally, there was a jelly like substance left in the eggs. The five that hatched (one did not) all had completely consumed their yolk so they did not hatch early. I also asked Bret if he tumbled the eggs until they hatched and the answer was, no, when they were close to hatching he stopped tumbling them to avoid tumbling the hatchling. How this movement differs from a Kreisel I am not sure but he has had much better success with his soda bottle arrangement (both for hatching and success after hatching) than any other set up, particularly for animals harder to raise even though the animals would not be exposed to this kind of movement in the wild.

Two of the four are now "biggest", one is slightly smaller and the tiniest one is still quite small. The little one is very slow to decide to eat and could almost be considered, "picky". I was worried about her (assumed gender) sight but her aim is excellent when she finally gets around to eating. I have been putting a few extra shrimp in the net to be sure the others don't take seconds and not leave any for her.

Still working on names :roll:

Not a Bill Murray fan (I know, I know but I just don't find him funny) but I did watch the trailer just to see if I needed to rent it - Nope. Keep thinking. I'd go with the three little pigs (do they have names? :roll:) but, knock on wood there are four of them and the littlest is definitely not a wolf.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back