[Cuttlefish Eggs]: Jabba, Jool, Ziro, Zorba - S. Bandensis

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Gen2 - 16 new eggs Total: 59
No new hatchlings. Most eggs have become tiny peas. I remove most to a cup but left any that might still be viable in the net.

Eggs seem to be laid or at least attached in clusters of 4 eggs.

Last edited:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Gen2 18 new eggs Total: 77

No new hatchlings. I have changed the incubation container and am now pushing more flow over the eggs, enough to keep them moving at most times. Will try to remember to photograph tomorrow.

Reef Geek

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Just caught up on this thread D. Awesome job! I'm so jealous. I raised a single cuttle from a batch of 5 eggs a few years ago and ever since I've wanted to do it again. Living near the coast in Florida, live food is much easier to come by so it's not nearly as expensive for me as for others. I even made my own plankton next and pulling it along the walls of the causeway was able to catch my own mysis shrimp.

One day soon I'll do it again, but for now my time is wrapped up with getting kids the cheer practice and aquaculturing clownfish. :smile:

Keep up the good work!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Gen2 12 new eggs Total: 89

The eggs do not seem to be maturing properly. I have tried shielding them from light for awhile but it did not help. I mentioned adding waterflow to keep the eggs moving and finally took a video. The hard plastic sides of the breeder may to too rough for the eggs and I have added macro algae and cheato to help suspend them and limit the abrasion.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Gen2: 5 new eggs total 94

The last dozen look more robust than all but the first few so I am hoping some of them will hatch.

There was a major inking event tonight. I have no idea what caused it and only one of the middle sized animals (male, I think) did all the inking. Nothing was close to him in the tank so it makes me wonder if something I was wearing set him off.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Lost one of the cuttles today (9 months old). I am not sure why. They have been hard to feed for the last month. Their aim seems fine but they don't seem to be able to hold food (alive or dead) in their tentacles. They can scoop up food with their arms though and I have been hand feeding them. This week they have eaten less and tonight did not take any food from my fingers. I am not 100% sure which one died but it may have been the little female (carcass was larger but may be due to water absorption).

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Oddly, their tentacles appear normal but they can't hold anything with them. Their arms seem to work fine and they are still eating but have to catch their food using their arms. Very sad (and surprised) to lose the little female first as she had the most personality. She is the one that would "attack" my fingers instead of the food and hold on but never nipped. I am a little worried the males may fight now that she is gone.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I see a lot of male coloration when I put my hand in the tank but have only notice one mark of aggression so far. Keeping them eating is a challenge. I have ordered more live crabs since they are able to take those down with their arms and beaks but they are all but refusing the frozen shrimp I have (both small mysis and small table shrimp) and can't catch the live shore shrimp. The tentacles fire and are on the mark but don't catch anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zeppelin

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan