Izzy and Bee - O.Mercatoris

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Type: O.Mecratoris
From: Caught by shrimpers using drag nets off the florida coast.
size: 1" mantle 2" arms

Well I ordered two O. Mercatoris from Tom's Caribbean Tropicals. As Tom has to pass by my house every Monday evening I had the opportunity to meet him briefly, at a near by shopping center, and collect my two new buddies from him. I'm not sure what was more exciting meeting Tom or getting my new pets. Lets face it he took the hobby we all love, turned it into a career and apparently is having a great time doing it. I'm Jealous! So anyway we exchanged a few quick words and I was on my way with Izzy and 'B' I rushed as delicately as possible back to the house and began the drip.

Both are in a bucket being drip acclimated right now. there pH is 7.7 and the tank is 8.2.

They were both very dark when they were in my truck but right now they are both much lighter.

They are in a 5 gallon bucket one inside a breeder net the other on the loose. they are both balled up in standard defensive position, in a ball with one arm across there face. hey seem very calm. I have everything pretty dark so pics are hard right now but I am getting some.

back in a few.....

You could at least describe them in more detail while you watching TV and eating bon-bons while they acclimate:wink:. I really want to know if these are mercs or joubini :hmm: Be sure you take a few pictures before you put them in the tank because you may not see them at all for about 2 weeks. Others have been luckier but that has been my experience, fortunately, Sleazy took the barnacle den after that period (I think it was only in there a week though) and can be seen at any time. She does not even bother with a door much now and grabs her food quickly but we never see her out of the den. Miss Broody (captive raised daughter of Trapper) was the same way.

still dripping, but we are almost there....
IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

Whew! Thanks! Mercs they are. The little star pattern on the eye, the red color and marbled markings and the quick tapering arms (in addition to the FL location) are all in-line with the species. The arms up between the eyes is also typical but I have seen Maya (hummelincki) do this while she was brooding.

55 gallon tank? You will never see them!

If you don't have some of the giant purple barnacles in there, I highly recommend getting a couple of groupings and placing them about an octo arms length off the substrate and leaving some small, light weight shells near by. Place the barnacles so you can look into most of them and so that the back end is slightly tipped upward for the most desired (viewable) shells. They don't have to be large clusters and I have Sleazy's wedged sandwiched between the LR.

mutter, mutter, 55 gallon tank, mutter mutter. Actually, Trapper (as well as three of her children and one errant grandchild that FINALLY was captured and moved to a smaller tank) was in a 45 so you probably will be OK if you will put some barnacles in there. Without the barnacles (something similar may work but I have had 100% success with the barnacles, even though they are NOT native to the keys - or even the Atlantic/Caribbean I think) finding these guys will take hours.

Was Tom driving the vet?:sagrin:

Now thats what I'm talking about, was so worth the wait. Love the coloration in the second photo. Have you released them yet? Do these tend to zip away and hide immediately? They are great looking, hard to tell I know but do they have any damage/missing arms? How active are they? Your tank is so big, bet think they've been released back into the ocean. :wink:

Yup they are both free to do what they want. One or B for now is hiding inside a breeder net, and the other, A, was inside a beer mug that i used to transfer it, but it is now sitting at the top of the tank (first pic). I dont see any damage. So far all is quiet.

The tank is a 55 but it is a Tall. so the foot print is the same as a 30, just deeper water.

I am thinking A is female but the mantle bulge that really shows in a post brood female is not only a female trait (the ovaries are at the back, behind this bump and you can see the bump in males, it is just as the ovaries swell that it is more pronounced).

Since I have only released 4 WC I can't say what is usual or unusual but I find it interesting that they did not turn solid red and dart for the LR.

It is unusual to see damage to the mercs' arms (unlike the hummelincki and briareus that are rarely undamaged). I would expect this to be the case not only because of how the larger animals hunt (poking arms in to every nook and cranny, not observed with the mercs) but also because the mercs are an equivalent mouthful to a briareus arm and it is unlikely the dwarf escapes from the hungry fish or eel.

I found both octos this morning they have each found a nice little den that is easy for me to see thank god. I am going to try food on a stick tonight, probably frsh chopped shrimp.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back