• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I've got cuttles!!!

Markushka

Blue Ring
Registered
I had gotten some eggs from Joe (snowmaker) last thursday, and just tonight while doing my night time rounds, I peeked into the breeder net the eggs were in and.... I HAVE CUTTLES!!! two little hatchlings!!! of course, first thing I did was put some live mysis in. Now for a few questions.

How many mysids should I be putting in the net at a time, and how often?

Should I separate the hatched cuttles from the eggs and should I further separate each hatched cuttle?

How do I tell hatched eggs from unhatched... will it be obvious? and should I remove hatched egg casings?

Is there any other suggestions you can give me?

I just want to do this right. Ok i'm off to bed now I'll check in again in the morning. Thanks in advance :biggrin2:

I try to keep our List of Our Cuttlefishes current so if you could record the number of eggs received and the number of hatchlings, I will add it to your posted link. Thanks!

They will be fine together for several weeks.
Just feed them, I'd say at least 3 or 4 mysids a day, or at least give them the option to eat that much.

The guy at ARO (mysid shrimp farmer) said his 2 hatchlings, 1 week old ate around 100 mysids in a week. At that age I think mine (2 hatchlings) got 30 - 40 per week

One of them escaped into the display. he'll be alright, just macros in there. I'll have to catch the little bugger tho to feed him.

Dwhatley, I got 5 eggs from snowmaker, had two hatch, and one more is visible in the egg. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks guys.

Another one hatched! today I think. I may have seen him hatch but i'm not sure. and they are eating! still no pics, I'll get to that sonner or later.

Markushka;159963 said:
Another one hatched! today I think. I may have seen him hatch but i'm not sure. and they are eating! still no pics, I'll get to that sonner or later.

Can't wait to see the pictures~

Uh, I have a question. I had 4 eggs hatch, but have 5 cuttles. least I believe the fifth egg hasn't hatched. Is such a thing possible as 2 cuttles in one egg?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back