I've got cuttles!!!

Markushka

Blue Ring
Registered
I had gotten some eggs from Joe (snowmaker) last thursday, and just tonight while doing my night time rounds, I peeked into the breeder net the eggs were in and.... I HAVE CUTTLES!!! two little hatchlings!!! of course, first thing I did was put some live mysis in. Now for a few questions.

How many mysids should I be putting in the net at a time, and how often?

Should I separate the hatched cuttles from the eggs and should I further separate each hatched cuttle?

How do I tell hatched eggs from unhatched... will it be obvious? and should I remove hatched egg casings?

Is there any other suggestions you can give me?

I just want to do this right. Ok i'm off to bed now I'll check in again in the morning. Thanks in advance :biggrin2:

DWhatley

Certified Ceph Head For Life
Staff member
I try to keep our List of Our Cuttlefishes current so if you could record the number of eggs received and the number of hatchlings, I will add it to your posted link. Thanks!

snowmaker

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
They will be fine together for several weeks.
Just feed them, I'd say at least 3 or 4 mysids a day, or at least give them the option to eat that much.

The guy at ARO (mysid shrimp farmer) said his 2 hatchlings, 1 week old ate around 100 mysids in a week. At that age I think mine (2 hatchlings) got 30 - 40 per week

Markushka

Blue Ring
Registered
One of them escaped into the display. he'll be alright, just macros in there. I'll have to catch the little bugger tho to feed him.

Dwhatley, I got 5 eggs from snowmaker, had two hatch, and one more is visible in the egg. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks guys.

Markushka

Blue Ring
Registered
Another one hatched! today I think. I may have seen him hatch but i'm not sure. and they are eating! still no pics, I'll get to that sonner or later.

Pie

Cuttlefish
Registered
Markushka;159963 said:
Another one hatched! today I think. I may have seen him hatch but i'm not sure. and they are eating! still no pics, I'll get to that sonner or later.
Can't wait to see the pictures~

Markushka

Blue Ring
Registered
Uh, I have a question. I had 4 eggs hatch, but have 5 cuttles. least I believe the fifth egg hasn't hatched. Is such a thing possible as 2 cuttles in one egg?

snowmaker

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Perhaps the percent of fertile eggs has something to do with the females' diet. I know the first batch had miserable hatch rate. After I saw that she was laying eggs, I started putting more food to the adults, and hatch rate climbed.
There are probably many more variables I haven't considered, but willing to venture a guess that the adults nutrition has something to do with it.

Markushka

Blue Ring
Registered
Ok, ok. here are pics from their first photoshoot, made possible by the generosity of Rryyddeerr :) (lent me a breeder net w/ an acrylic pane for viewing)

Sorry guys thats the best I could do. I'll be taking them out of the tank for a few minutes tomorrow for maintenance. Hopefully i'll be abele to get clearer shots then.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Man

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak