It's Official: TONMOCON III in Monterey Bay

Reservations Booked

We found the on-line booking listed as sold out too and assumed TONMOCON III was responsible for the inability to book on-line :biggrin2: so I called and "mentioned" TONMO and there were no problems with getting reservations. I got an unexpected bonus check that covered the cost so we confirmed our room. I failed to confirm the price though :hmm:. Neal's been busily looking around the Monterey area for stuff to do afterwards and to decide whether or not we want to fly into San Francisco and drive up then return for a few days in SF or to just spend the time in Monterey. All suggestions solicited (of course air fare may play an important role in which airport).

San Francisco has a massive number of things to do, depending on your interests, and certainly the Steinhart Aquarium is one you shouldn't miss. The Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Cruz area has a lot too. There are some good vineyards in the Carmel Valley for some wine tasting. The Kelps beds right off shore in Carmel are usually good for some sea otter watching, and of course the drive down highway 1, the Pacific Coast highway is awesome. There are a couple of redwood forests just outside of Santa Cruz, and there are some good vineyards up in the S.C. mountains too. I'll try to get some more suggestions from my daughter. Carmel itself is charming, although maybe a bit too touristy. I'm sure I'll think of some more things too.

I am hoping for a Thales Special at Steinhart and am really looking forward to seeing the manmade kelp forest and the Monterey Aquarium. I know SF has a great zoo but I have never been to the other coast so keep the cards and letter coming (keeping in mind that budget is also a major factor)

Very excited to be able to go to this TONMOCON, this will be my first and it will be really great meeting some fellow freaks!

-Michael

GPO87;128594 said:
Question. is the 99 bucks per person, or per room?

That is the room rate. Some hotels have an additional fee (somewhere between $5 and $30) for additional people but they did not ask for the number of occupants when we reserved the room so I am assuming that you can fit as many as you are comfortable with in the room for the single rate.

Remember -- to get the room rate, you have to CALL the Monterey Travelodge and mention that you're staying for the TONMO.com convention.

sorseress;128535 said:
the Steinhart Aquarium is one you shouldn't miss. .

The new Steinhart Aquarium and Cal Academy are absolutely stunning, and this is a must-see combo if you have time. We spent all day there and never got bored.

Alas I'll be in Indo and can't make it, but hopefully will be able to send Thales a powerpoint presentation of Indonesian octopuses.

mucktopus;129940 said:
Alas I'll be in Indo and can't make it, but hopefully will be able to send Thales a powerpoint presentation of Indonesian octopuses.

A presentation would be awesome, but it's too bad we won't get a chance to put a face to your online presence.

Well, I am planning to head out to Monterey, CA in June. Unfortunately, it is for the weekend following this one. The National Marine Educators conference starts June 29 and I have already made plans to attend. So I am sorry, but I will be missing you all by just days. Shucks.

cephalopodcast;130057 said:
Well, I am planning to head out to Monterey, CA in June. Unfortunately, it is for the weekend following this one. The National Marine Educators conference starts June 29 and I have already made plans to attend. So I am sorry, but I will be missing you all by just days. Shucks.

I looked at the weekend you were out there, but that coincides with the Blues Festival and there was no vacancy to be had. Sorry we'll miss you.

Try to see the festival!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back