It's Official: TONMOCON III in Monterey Bay

Discussion in 'TONMOCON' started by tonmo, Nov 24, 2008.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Still need to line a bunch of things up, but a few things are nailed:

Event: TONMOCON III

Date: June 19 - 21, 2009 (Fri - Sun)

Location: Monterey Bay, CA. Conference room and group rates for overnight stay at Monterey Bay Travelodge. Area visits are still being planned (e.g., Monterey Bay Aquarium).
    http://www.montereybaytravelodge.com/

Group Rate: Call and mention TONMO.com, get room for $99 per night -- specify single bed or double bed, and smoking option

Presentations: June 20th (Sat) in banquet room (seats up to 105) - room opens 10:45am, presentations begin at 11am

Agenda, events, details to follow. Book it!

:cool: :squid: :octopus:

2. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Great Tony! This is the earliest we've gotten the basics planned, isn't it? It should make it a lot easier for the membership to make plans. Will be calling to make reservations soon...just a question if any of the spawn want to share a room.

3. tonmo

Sharon -- THANKS again for the tip on the venue. This will be excellent.

4. Jana

Jana Blue Ring Supporter

Very exciting. School will be out then in Hillsboro, OR. Look forward to putting faces to names.:roflmao:

5. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Sigh............too far away :cry:

6. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Thanks DANO! A room that allows smoking room in CA - unbelievable!!!!!

7. erich orser

erich orser Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Well, despite the cardiac drama earlier, will definitely be there. I mean, heck, Monterey? I've loved that town since childhood. No way I'll miss an excuse to return there for a ceph-themed weekend with friends! Not sure if I want to do a lecture this time. I just don't want to do the same lecture every event, and might be too lazy/busy to write a new one about something else from the non-scientific perspective. Oh, wait, got a new idea. Let y'all know soon.

8. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Most excellent ! We will be there with bells on ! And hey, if Erich tries to croak on us, Shanlyn is now a fully fledged nurse!

9. DWhatley

YEA! Greg, with your track record over the last two years, she may need to reconsider and go back to school to become a medical doctor (or at least a nurse practitioner):tomato:

10. sorseress

Congratulations Shanlyn!:cheers::glass:

11. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Yes!!!! What a BD gift for Jess! Great timing once again! Just tried to book online and it's coming up booked for that weekend. Did we reserve? Should I put in a call? Is it possible to bunk with someone?

12. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Perfect timing. I will be getting back from the Galapagos a few days before the Monterey event. Look forward to seeing the old faces and meeting new ones.

Greg

13. sorseress

Great! Hopefully we'll be meeting a new face too, your fiance.

14. tonmo

Yes, as stated, make the call and mention you want the TONMO.com group rate for that weekend. The rooms are held for us until May 19th (15 single bed, 15 double bed) -- if more are needed they'll deal with it based on availability.

15. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

We are always willing to double up with someone or a couple...heck, I don't sleep anyway, unless it is in the pool.

16. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I just reserved just to be sure I have one!!!!

17. DWhatley

Reservations Booked

We found the on-line booking listed as sold out too and assumed TONMOCON III was responsible for the inability to book on-line :grin: so I called and "mentioned" TONMO and there were no problems with getting reservations. I got an unexpected bonus check that covered the cost so we confirmed our room. I failed to confirm the price though :hmm:. Neal's been busily looking around the Monterey area for stuff to do afterwards and to decide whether or not we want to fly into San Francisco and drive up then return for a few days in SF or to just spend the time in Monterey. All suggestions solicited (of course air fare may play an important role in which airport).

18. sorseress

San Francisco has a massive number of things to do, depending on your interests, and certainly the Steinhart Aquarium is one you shouldn't miss. The Carmel, Monterey, Big Sur, Santa Cruz area has a lot too. There are some good vineyards in the Carmel Valley for some wine tasting. The Kelps beds right off shore in Carmel are usually good for some sea otter watching, and of course the drive down highway 1, the Pacific Coast highway is awesome. There are a couple of redwood forests just outside of Santa Cruz, and there are some good vineyards up in the S.C. mountains too. I'll try to get some more suggestions from my daughter. Carmel itself is charming, although maybe a bit too touristy. I'm sure I'll think of some more things too.

19. DWhatley

I am hoping for a Thales Special at Steinhart and am really looking forward to seeing the manmade kelp forest and the Monterey Aquarium. I know SF has a great zoo but I have never been to the other coast so keep the cards and letter coming (keeping in mind that budget is also a major factor)

20. marineboy

marineboy Wonderpus Registered

Very excited to be able to go to this TONMOCON, this will be my first and it will be really great meeting some fellow freaks!

-Michael