It's Coming!!!!!

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Mr. Krabs, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs Blue Ring Registered

I ordered a Bimac from Octopets a couple of days ago, and here it comes! She'll (he'll) be here tomorrow at about 10:30 am!!! How's about the name Tako (Japanese for Octopus Sushi! :lol: ) Well, can't wait for it! Guess it'll be difficult to study Accounting I tomorrow :roll: I'll keep you informed!!!! :heee: Oh! I can barely contain the excitement!!!!

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Anxiously awaiting arrival and pics!!! Please do keep us informed!!! :)

Carol

3. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Congratulations! Do inform us when he arrives and how the acclimation goes :) All the best!

4. Mr. Krabs

It came today!!!! OH JOY! I could hardly pay attention in school today! Anywho, so far, so well. I've aclimated the temp, and am now aclimating the water. It's moving around the bag, going here and there. Oh WOW! I can hardly contain the excitement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :heee: As soon as I release it into the tank, and everything is alright, I'll try to send some digital pics of it. Okay, maybe Tako is too cruel of a name. How's about Kamal from the James Bond movie Octopussy? My parents wouldn't be pleased calling her(him) Octopussy, so why not Kamal? :bonk: Oh, better go check on it......SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :) 8) :D :heee: :P

5. corw314

Make sure you take your time acclimating! I know it can be tempting to just rush and put him in! Also, be careful not to use the flash so you don't freak him!

Anxiously awaiting update!

Carol

6. Mr. Krabs

Yeah, don't worry about that! I know that you must keep the lights LOW to let the octopus get use to its surroundings. And don't worry about acclimating! I'm just plum excited!!!! It's realy cool to watch!

7. Mr. Krabs

okay...so how long before I should do the first feeding? Tomorrow, maybe? I have small clams. Would this be rushing it? Oh, and it's a very dark color sitting at the back of the aquarium, but isn't being covered by anything like any of the rock or pvc pipes that I put in there. Is this normal? It's still moving, breathing. Not really "swimming" around or anything. Just kinda sitting there. I know I'm excited, but these are ligit questions, aren't they?

8. corw314

Very Legit questions!!! Congrats!!! He's checking you out! Dark color is he's a little wary, but watching! Do you have some food in the tank? Like hermits? My new ones ate pretty quick! Aren't they the most fascinating creature you have ever had the pleasure to witness??? I would just let him be! He'll come around. May even hide some but other captive bred bimacs, are as curious about you as you are about them!

Wouldn't hurt to offer some of the clams. Some people put them on a shell so they don't burrow!

Please keep us posted!!! Enjoy!!!

Carol

9. Mr. Krabs

Yup....it's already out and about!!!! I put 3 small clams in a small soy dish. There are about 5 small hermit crabs in there, and several snails (do they eat these?) Here's a pic of the little darling!!!

10. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Glad that Kamal arrived safely and is getting comfortable with his new surroundings! Welcome to Kamal!

Nancy

11. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Kamal is gorgeous! What a great shot!!!

J

12. Mr. Krabs

Thanks! Well, the excitement is begining to come to an end, Kamal is now hiding behind a rock, and his light is about to turn off. Sigh. Well, I have a moonlight coming tomorrow...that'll be fun for the both of us. :P

13. Bingo

Bingo Pygmy Octopus Registered

By the way the name Tako doesn't just mean octopus sushi, It means the general term 'Octopus'. Its just that its seen more often on a bit of rice more then in it's natural surrounding.

14. Mr. Krabs

Thanks for the information. Always love to pick some tid bit of information up.

15. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

There is also a cartoon octopus called Tako, star of his own cooking show!
    You'll find him here:

http://www.8legged.com/

Nancy

16. corw314

He's soooo cute!!! Any update today? Keep an eye out for the "Eye"!!! They peak, and alot of times we don't realize they are watching!!!

Carol

17. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Nice octopus ! glad to hear he is doing well...
    greg

18. Mr. Krabs

Well, today it's kinda hiding. When I got home from school today, it was crawling around, but then I left the house, and as I was gone, it hid itself...quite well, actually! I also got my moonlight in today. It's only 1 watt, and it makes the water shimmer at night!! It's cool for at night. It hasn't eaten any of the clams that I set out for it, but it probobly picked off a hermit crab or something last night or earlier today. When do they feed in the wild? Early evening, or something? Oh! One more thing...it showed its two eye :bugout: rings today...it had them "hidden" yesterday. Also, my protein skimmer keeps putting bubbles in my aquarium, how do I fix that? (I already quirked with the air intake, and let it run without air for about an hour to clean it out, but it still does it) Thanks for all of the information and support, you guys!!! :notworth:

19. corw314

Hi! Glad he's doing so well! Does your protein skimmer have an airvalve on it at the end of the airline tubing? This is how you can control the air.

He probably did pick off a hermit! :) Mine ate whenever. No real schedule. Just knew they were hungry, when they'd stalk me, especially if all the food was gone from the tank. G2 eats usually once a day, whenever he catches my attention!!!

Carol

20. Mr. Krabs

Yeah, my protein skimmer is a Seaclone 100...but I already tried air adjustment. Do you think I should try running it without air for the night? It's never done this for so long before...usually I can correct it with air adjustment, but now I can't. I read in the manual that some meds for slime coating can make it do this...but I didn't use any meds. Do you think that the octo has something to do with it? And I added an Emperor 400 to the tank today...maybe that has something to do with it!