• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

its a sad day

outhus

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
yesterday i noticed my thermometer was broken??? i dont know how but it was leaking into the sand. i cleaned it out the best i could but later that day she started to die. it was my first cuttelfish ever and she only lived about 5 months. now i wonder if it was the thermometer or if she died of another cause?

outhus, sorry for your loss... :sad: please do not blame yourself. all
living things are a sensitive lot... no doubt you tried your best.
this true story may seem silly but may give some perspective.
my first water-living pet was a goldfish. not jk we were m8s.
he'd get excited when i came in the room & jump out of his
bowl. of course, i'd put him back in, no worries. one day he
jumped out when i wasn't there. i took no comfort at the time.
but the truth is things happen that we can't control. we can only
try our best. for reasons i do not know, i'm sure that you did. a.f.

Very sorry for your loss. :sad: You'll never fully know whether it was the thermometer or just a coincidence. But it's sad losing a pet.
All the best,

Nancy

If u had it for 5 months im sure it was no fault of yours - sorry to hear it - especially sad with smart animals you feel bonded with - best of luk

So sorry to hear. You had a good 5 months together, but I know it still is such a loss as we get so attached to these amazing creatures.

Carol

Is there any prospect of getting back into cuttles? (or was the loss sort of final - it can be so heartbreaking you feel like you never want to do it again)

I'm sorry to hear this, Don't blame yourself for this, if the thermometer was alcohol or mercury, either would have had adverse effects on the cuttle. Don't be too discouraged and try to learn from this , hopefully you'll have a happy new cuttle in the future.

Wow, that sucks! Had a fairly rare angelfish die from the same cause, and bought a digital thermometer right away...hindsight is always 20/20, though isn't it?
Sorry about the loss...
greg

outhus said:
yesterday i noticed my thermometer was broken??? i dont know how but it was leaking into the sand. i cleaned it out the best i could but later that day she started to die. it was my first cuttelfish ever and she only lived about 5 months. now i wonder if it was the thermometer or if she died of another cause?

Sorry to hear about your loss... :sad:

Sorry to hear about that. I've tended to use either digital thermometers or those stick on jobs (I know they're not that accurate) for an indication and then manually taken the temp every day. Now of course I don't have an aquarium at home and at work our tanks are the same as the seawater outside!

J

i lost an Oscar after it smashed a thermometer in his tank... lesson learned!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back