Isis O. bimaculoides NEW OCTOPUS Surprise from my Husband!

Also from what D said the best way to see the eye spots is front on. Since these arent I will try to get better pics later today. Joe-Ceph do you have any pics of you octos spots?

I hope Nancy will ring in here soon.

I was wondering why Isis was staying hidden all day then I found her hiding behind some rock and kelp. If you look at that white thing she is sitting on... thats a large 3 inch clam. Its been in the tank for months and either shes eating it for dinner or its a very cozy place to rest.
Isis013.jpg

from "Cephalopods: A World Guide"

Bimaculatus - The ocellus contains an iridescent blue ring in the form of broken chain links with spokes extending to the outer edge of the false eye spot. - small egged- size body to 20cm and arms 80cm

Bimaculoides- The iridescent ring with in the ocellus is in the form of unbroken chain links. - large egged- body 12cm and arms 35cm

pics of Ollie here: Cephalopod Care

Even though the eyespots are below the eye you will not likely get at front on photo of it :biggrin2: but I see you found a very good angle. Good shot! The "spokes" are probably the starburst you originally saw.

LOL, If she has been "hiding" over a clam all day, I suspect she is trying to open it. It takes them quite awhile. I have had two that I knew opened them and they decided easy food was better. Neither one ever opened a second one.

CaptFish;164736 said:
from "Cephalopods: A World Guide"

Bimaculatus - The ocellus contains an iridescent blue ring in the form of broken chain links with spokes extending to the outer edge of the false eye spot. - small egged- size body to 20cm and arms 80cm

Bimaculoides- The iridescent ring with in the ocellus is in the form of unbroken chain links. - large egged- body 12cm and arms 35cm

pics of Ollie here: Cephalopod Care

Thank you Capt. So according to that she is in fact a bimaculoides.

dwhatley;164737 said:
Even though the eyespots are below the eye you will not likely get at front on photo of it :biggrin2: but I see you found a very good angle. Good shot! The "spokes" are probably the starburst you originally saw.

LOL, If she has been "hiding" over a clam all day, I suspect she is trying to open it. It takes them quite awhile. I have had two that I knew opened them and they decided easy food was better. Neither one ever opened a second one.

She finally gave up after a while lol. I gave her a scallop and I have never seen an octopus eat with such gusto lol. After she ate that I saw her do something rather strange with a hermit crab. She was swimming around holding it under her beak. I wish I had gotten a picture but after a while she started to hide when ever she saw the camera. Is that normal... for them to bring food a long for the ride?

Though Isis has been coming out so far its only been to hunt. So for the last few days I take the opportunity to thaw a scallop and hand it to her. Today she wasnt interested in me handing her the scallop so much as my hand. She played tug of war with my hand lol. It was awesome. She retreated a little bit and I set the scallop down and she jumped on it. I felt like a little kid that was just gonna start giggling.

As Dave mentioned a couple of posts below, Your bimac should have an unbroken chain in the ocellus, like this photo of Ollie from the Bimac Care Sheet:

Cephalopod Care

I think that's what I'm seeing, but I can't quite tell.

Bimacs are fun octopuses and usually very interactive. I wish they were more available.

Nancy

Nancy;164835 said:
As Dave mentioned a couple of posts below, Your bimac should have an unbroken chain in the ocellus, like this photo of Ollie from the Bimac Care Sheet:

Cephalopod Care

I think that's what I'm seeing, but I can't quite tell.

I had a hard time seeing it at first too. But it is unbroken.

Nancy;164835 said:
Bimacs are fun octopuses and usually very interactive. I wish they were more available.

Nancy

Me too. Since Isis is wild caught I hope her eggs will be viable. If so I hope to be able to have the babies and to give them to a few people.

Is a 7 inch mantle the standard size of a full grown bimac or is that just the largest they have seen them? I am wanting to gauge her age if thats at all possible.

Unfortunately, the description CaptFish posted and the clear picture of her eyespot heavily suggests O. bimaculatus:
The spokes are pretty clear in that photo. :sad:

Nancy's Ollie was also a Bimaculatus and it was very interactive so you should have an excellent experience but young raising is not likely.

Note from Nancy: Actually, Ollie was O. bimaculoides. Her photo is in the Bimac Care Sheet demonstrating the unbroken chain of the bimaculoides ocellus.

dwhatley;164852 said:
Unfortunately, the description CaptFish posted and the clear picture of her eyespot heavily suggests O. bimaculatus:

The spokes are pretty clear in that photo. :sad:

Nancy's Ollie was also a Bimaculatus and it was very interactive so you should have an excellent experience but young raising is not likely.

I am so very confused now... I read here.... http://www.tonmo.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-6173.html

And also on the care sheet that Ollie was a bimaculoides.

This is what she wrote....

"Mar 4th, 2006, 11:19am
The two species are closely related and there is certainly individual variation.

I encountered this personally when my O. bimaculoides Ollie grew large enough to fall into the bimaculatus range. I then had people try to convince me that she was a bimaculatus, but I would point to her perfect ring and the fact that she laid large eggs. In fact, I found severeal other equally large bimaculoides among our members and I had reports of larger bimaculoides from Octopets."

So... does anyone have access to a picture of the ocellus of bimaculatus? I have looked but havent found anything clear enough to see.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back