• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Is your Octo nosey?

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Everytime I need to adjust something in Ink's tank he comes out from where ever he happens to be and tries to sneak up on my hand. Means while I'm trying to fix whatever, I also have to either keep one eye on him to see what he's up to , or post my son or daughtor to keep me posted what he's up to. Lately, my protein skimmer powerhead keeps coming disconnected (seaclone fault???) so I have to totally untape the whole hood to gain decent access to it. I still am not sure about letting him get ahold of me! Anyway was curious how the other siblings react to modifying their domain!!!

:?: I also would like to add the hamster plastic tubes, but haven't heard if this is safe to do????? Anybody know?????

Carol :smile:

Everytime I clean the algae off the front of Roxy's tank she comes out to inspect my work...I'm sure if I took too long she would reach up with a few arms and try to help. :P I cut out the bottom strip of a plastic coat hanger and whenever I stick it in the tank she comes out grabbing it and plays tug of war with me.

Carol,

I bought some plastic hamster tubing for Vader over the weekend and while he has not tried to call through it yet, it has had no adverse effects on the tank or his appetite (re Lord Vader posting). At first I put the tube in vertically with an opening on the DSB and one near the top of the tank, but now I have put the whole assembly horizonitally on the sand bed.

Vader is also extremely curious and comes out immediately anytime I put anything in the water, especially the feeding rod. I can draw him out of his den anytime by sticking the rod in the water. I think he has quickly linked the appearance of the rod with food.

As far as cleaning the algae off of the surface of the tank, I use scrubbing magnets which work great and you don't have to worry about being grabbed. The first time I used them Vader grabbed hold of one, but now he just ignores them when I use them. :biggrin2:

Dools

Ollie has now developed the habit of investigating whenever a stick, tool or hand comes into his aquarium. And once he grabs hold, it takes a long time to get whatever was in the water back out, even a hand.

Ollie makes sure at least half of his arms are firmly anchored on the live rock, so nothing can escape! It makes minor cleaning and changes quite a challenge. He really seems to enjoy this interaction, too. :octopus:

Nancy

Hey all:

Nancy, Tralfaz does the same thing. If I put a feeding stick or my hand in to the tank he will grab on. He then anchors himself to the rocks and trys to pull it in. It is actually shocking how strong the little bugger is.

I was just using a magnetic cleaner to clean algea off of the inside of his tank. I was running it back and forth and he attacked it. I thought that he would back off when he couldn't pull it down, but he just went for a ride for almost a minute before jumping (hmmm, maybe more like plopping) off of it. My LFS didn't get any crayfish this week and he was hanging on the front of the tank looking at me so I hand fed him some shrimp. Well, after a little tug of war, he took it back to his favorite spot. He seemed to eat about half of it and then he spit the rest right at me. What a character :jester:

I'm still trying not to flinch when he grabs my hand. His suckers grabbing on is such a strange feeling.

George

Y'know...I know this has been asked before, maybe even by me...but just to ease my mind :goofysca: , especially since I intend to get a bimac shortly...

There's nothing WRONG with such direct interaction, right? Gollum was so shy it never came up with him. Nobody's had a bimac try to eat a finger or something, have they? Bites are extremely rare and harmless anyway? There doesn't seem to be any risk of the octo being infected or stressed by bacteria or chemicals from our hands? THese interactions aren't an aggressive territoriality that would be stressful to the octo and better minimized? I get the impression the answer to all this is "no, it's fine, they're curious and investigative, etc." but...just wanted to be sure...

rusty

Roxy's interactions with me seem to be out of pure curiosity and no harmful or territorial intent. But when she's all over my hands I can't help but worry about the beak. Not so much for the pain, but I fear that I may hurt her out of fright if she did bite...kind of like the natural reaction to fling a crab when it pinches you.

From my experience it would seem that Octopus are naturally curious. Whenever I put my hand in with either my small bimiculoides or larger vulgaris, they will be out to investigate in a very short time. While this may sound great it can make water changes a bit of a nightmare. My vulgaris like nothing better than to stick to my hand/arm. The bimac loves to try and pull the syphon pipe into it lair. I try and do maintenance when they are dozing, but they always wake up and help.
One other thing, the vulgaris will normally come out even if it sees movement outside the aquarium. A quick wave with the hand generally does the trick.
I normally wear a pair of shoulder length gloves, Octopus seem to find these far less interesting than skin texture. If they decide to stick to your arm there is no safe way to remove them, you can always take the glove off.
For tubes I use ABS or PVC1 grade plastic, this is often used in swimming pool construction and is ultra low toxicity.

J.Scott

sideways said:
Roxy's interactions with me seem to be out of pure curiosity and no harmful or territorial intent.
yeah most ceph's are very curious and attentive of what is happeninig, I think that they should of added ceph to the saying instead of the Cat,
Curiousity killed the Cat! :lol:

Im glad somebody asked that question!!!

Because Ive got a budgy who thinks the world of me (go on have laugh!) , shouts my name , fly's to me, and generally follows me round the house. But even she gets p%ssed off with me now and again and decides to have a bite of me (especially when I go in her cage) which usually doesnt hurt, although when it does....owe!

so with an octo havin a beak and there apparent strength, I wonder how they would compare in bite stakes i.e. budgy, parrot etc......

This is the only thing that gave me reservations when considerin if I should go for it. But decided I was so far down the line in wanting one, what the heck!

But if anyone has been bitten, do they ever draw blood?

Im not tryin to be a scaremonger, just curious so I can mentally prepare myself!!!!

Scouse said:
so with an octo havin a beak and there apparent strength, I wonder how they would compare in bite stakes i.e. budgy, parrot etc......
well I've never gotten bitten by a octoeven though I have purposely tryed to get bitten by my o.vulagirs but well he seem's to be very cautious of what he does and he is a bit timid that he will bite me so he try's to ignore it lol. :smile:

well I've never gotten bitten by a octoeven though I have purposely tryed to get bitten by my o.vulagirs
(
)

Your mad mate!!! But I do understand why!!! LOL

Its an intresting thought because I suppose that is one of the usual questions to be asked by people when keeping one. I suppose its just a case of making friends with the little fo and developing trust.

On a lighter note, I used to know somebody who was once bit by a dog in his road, so he bit it back!!! He said it tasted like S@%T :yuck: but it never did it again!!!!! LOL

well I've never gotten bitten by a octoeven though I have purposely tryed to get bitten by my o.vulagirs
(
)

Your mad mate!!! But I do understand why!!! LOL

Its an intresting thought because I suppose that is one of the usual questions to be asked by people when keeping one. I suppose its just a case of making friends with the little fo and developing trust.

On a lighter note, I used to know somebody who was once bit by a dog in his road, so he bit it back!!! He said it tasted like S@%T :yuck: but it never did it again!!!!! LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back