Is this an O. briareus?

lexcanaves

Cuttlefish
Registered
I was supposed to receive a Pygmy/Dwarf species of octopus from my LFS. He looked like one at the store, but as soon as he got in the tank and spread his legs...uh-oh. A bit larger than expected. I have gotten a good opinion that believes it may be the O. briareus species. I don't know much about them to agree or disagree, but the different coloration and lack of that "irridescence" makes me wonder. Thanks for any help here!
Side note: I have a 36 gallon tank, so if it is a briareus, he will have to be returned the ocean at some point :[

Mantle: About 1.5 inches
Arm tip to Arm tip: Around 7-8 inches. I haven't been able to measure since the 1st day, but when he slinks up the sides I can tell they are longer than the original 6 in. that I measured.

DSC01980.jpg

DSC01979.jpg

1stkill2-1.jpg

1stkill4.jpg

1stkill1.jpg

jimmy 22;117818 said:
does that also mean bacterial additives? i think i figured out why i lost my macropus. i added a additive from dolfin pharm. at every water change. ithis was the first time i used it and i think thats what killed him?

Which additive specifically?

Upvote 0
dwhatley;117379 said:
2. I don't know if there is a concern about your tank raised octo being able to survive in the wild. At one time this was the rule but I don't know if the current success with octo release includes tank raised. JEAN?

At Portobello we release back to the wild but ours are wild caught, we do not breed them and we release as near as we can to the capture point (ain't GPS wonderful!)

J

Upvote 0
Hey,
I am also located in south florida and was wondering if you got your octopus at Marks Ark? If not, where did you get your octo from?
thanks alot!
-Josh

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back