Is this a aculeatus?

luigi

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hi! I'm very new to octos(10 days) since I was convinced to bring this guy home from the lfs. I know absolutely very little about these guys, but (Nubbin) did eat out of my hand tonight!

Attachments

• conv_303212.jpg
    conv_303212.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 137
  • conv_303213.jpg
    conv_303213.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 132
  • conv_303214.jpg
    conv_303214.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 129
Luigi,
Thanks for the post. There have been a few others to loose arms close to the body like that but I only put the Adopus ability together with the event when you mentioned your accident. I now suspect this has happened to others but no one thought about this characteristic.

Octane (Hummelincki) did an upright walk a couple of days ago and I have been keeping the camera armed and pointed at the tank ever since. Unfortunately, he doesn't spend time in the very front when we are around (he stays to the back and sides, visible and will come to the front corner for food but not the front center). It was even cooler than his "rock" walk so I hope I can video it.

Upvote 0
Here is a couple of update photos on the re-growth of Nubbin's arm. It is now about 2" long. They re-grow rather quickly! He seems to have forgiven me, so all is well!!!

Attachments

• conv_292396.jpg
    conv_292396.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 123
  • conv_292397.jpg
    conv_292397.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 0
Very cool! This is valuable data- please keep us posted! In a smaller member of Abdopus (an undescribed species from Guam), it takes about three weeks for an arm to grow back.

Upvote 0
Ive had an aculeatus drop a leg on me from transferring him to a different tanks. Its interesting to see. There was absolutely no pressure that could have cut it. It was a defense mechanism. The leg kept moving for over an hour. I took a video of it, but its buried in my 100s of folders of random videos and pictures. Creepy stuff!

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back