Is octo hidden too long?

rrtanton

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure I will...but poor little gollum probably wouldn't! :D His behavior is not ideal as a "pet", but it's made him oddly endearing.

rusty

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Rusty,

Think it's so nice that you have an octopus who doesn't behave as the perfect pet, and yet you still like him and give him a good home. I've vowed to do the same, in case I get a less-than-social octopus.

Nancy

rrtanton

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks...and as I've mentioned, it's oddly endearing. He has in some ways more attitude than the most visible and agressive of octos...he's not going to put up with me no matter how hard I try to acclimate him--he's gonna do his own thing, period! :P Gotta respect that...

Also, I've viewed this as something of a learning experience from the start. Each different octo will be a lesson in ceph behavior and species characteristics (to some degree...one octo does not a species make...) So I don't mind that part of it either.

I've had experience with unwanted animals before...so maybe that's part of it too. I'm happily omnivorous and though I never really liked squid calamari, I suppose I'd eat it on rare occasion...but I think on average, we should show FAR more responsibility and compassion for other animals than we do. And I confess I prolly WOULD be squeamish about eating octo... :D

rusty

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Reaction score
LOL you sounded like wise old Yoda here '(to some degree...one octo does not a species make...)'

Anyway, :) you are right about the behaviour, all species seem to different and some individuals within that species are different too...

This aculeatus is sort of in the middle.. active, visual but not particularly interactive with me...

C

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pETH

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan