• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Is my octo sick?

Neogonodactylus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Doesn't eat, twisting arms, autophagy, loss of skin texture, dull colors, fever, catches prey and releases in uneaten, etc.

Roy

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
:lol:

Not that I'm laughing at your sick octo, just at Roy's inserting "fever" into his otherwise-accurate info.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I certainly did a double take and started laughing out loud! Then I started to allow the thought to go into query mode. Are octopuses warm-blooded (in which case it there would be a possibilty of fever or elevated temperature with infection - not that it would be possible to check it for the home aquarist - but the extended thought was interesting). When I posed the question before I think Monty mentioned that we are unaware of a temperature regulating component so it is assumed not.

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Always the educator

For others of less than a stellar biology vocabulary:

Poikilotherm - The term is used as a more exact description of the vernacular "cold-blooded".

... and I was just getting close to remembering and spelling crepsecular :razz:

My additional discovery for the day for anyone who is not yet aware of accellerators in version 8 of IE (don't know about FireFox):

There is a very nice new feature that allows a quick definition popup (you have choices for the supplier) when a word is highlighted. I am still investigating other uses but, unfortunately, a similar spell check for text boxes (places where you enter text is not yet part of the new feature.

Members online

No members online now.