• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Is my abaculus ok?

Christopher

Cuttlefish
Registered
I've had him about 5 days and he seemed to be doing great. Moving around a lot, exploring, and eating. At night he usually finds a spot on the back glass and stays there until morning when the lights change. Today however he hasn't moved once. He's been in the same spot on the back glass for about 24 hours. He's right up by the surface. Looks like an arm or two is above the water level and the rest of him is under. He seems to like to go near the surface. I can't imagine there's a lack of oxygen. I have a sump with wet/dry filter setup and protein skimmer. I did feed him a shrimp and he grabbed it right away. Just hasn't moved Am I overreacting? He has just been way more active up until the point.

We see the sitting out and high on the glass behavior often enough to recognize it but don't have a consistent feel for why. Generally speaking it is not a good sign unless it is within the first two days of entering the tank (then it is more normal but still not a good sign). O2 levels and water quality (check your salt level explicitly, law salt often causes odd behavior) have sometimes been found to be the problem in animals that have been well acclimated. Call it superstition or believing we can test for many things that effect the animals but I always recommend (and practice) doing a large water change anytime I see an odd behavior.

Definitely some bugs with this new software. When i edit a post it just gives me a blank text box. So i figured it would append to my post. Nope. Whatever you type in the edit box replaces your original post. Also, When i make a post it pushes everything together into one paragraph. So good luck deciphering my parameters lol. And, the main page freezes when I try to go there on my ipad. Just some friendly feedback. Anyway..... My octo definitely seems to be doing better. He didn't move for about 2 days, but he's a lot more active now. However, he always ends up on the glass, usually by the waterline. He NEVER hangs out in the live rock. I've got some great tunnels and caves and my old octos practically lived in the rocks. So that seems strange. Parameters: 0,0,20-40 75 gallon tank - lots of LR Temp - 72-74 SG - 1.025 PH 8 Like I said above I've got a big wet/dry trickle filter and 180 gallon rated skimmer in my sump with lots of turnover. So it's hard to imagine an oxygen problem. Have never seen similar behavior with any of my other fish or creatures in the past. But you guys are the experts. Maybe I'm wrong. Used to run a lower SG and higher Temp with my old octos but read that the above numbers are more preferable. What should I be shooting for? I've kind of been on maintenance autopilot for a while so I should probable brush up on my abilities lol Oh and I did a 30% WC the day before I got him and another about a week ago. It's hard to know if this is strange behavior because its the only behavior I've seen him do So what now?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back