• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Is it possible to keep an octopus Hummelincki and an snowflake eel together

octo..

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Is it possible to keep an octopus Hummelincki and an baby snowflake eel together in a 55 gallon tank or would the octopus just eat it. And if I can keep them together would it be better to introduce them at the same time

I remember watching a video on YouTube of two kids putting an octopus into a tank with a SF eel and the eel bit off one the octo's arms within seconds of it being introduced in the tank...

octopuses (and cuttlefish) need to be kept in tanks without other fish or cephalopods. the only other thing that should be in the tank is food and a cleanup crew.

octo..;188286 said:
OK I know that octopus don't generally get along well with eels but their have been some exceptions like in this video

It needs to be pointed out that that is not a snowflake eel. :biggrin2: And, IIRC, that example worked until it didn't, which is generally how these things end up.

Thales beat me to the apples to oranges comparison (the only thing similar between a snowflake and a ribbon is the word eel) and his oft quoted "It works until it doesn't" comment that has been shown for everything from fish to seahorses but I will add a reference to an article Dave wrote early on in his experiences with keeping octopuses: It Works Until It Doesn't

mazprot;193968 said:
"Its fine they are going to be fine... Mom dont stick your hand in there... "
hahaha

I just started keeping a snowflake eel. My kids really wanted to try one. I have to do what I can to keep them interested. I have it alone in a tank. I am sure I'll be hearing those words one day. 2 weeks in and only see it all the way out when feeding. Not as exciting as I was hoping for but interesting. Now I found a local LFS can get octopuses :banghead: They have a mimic that is not for sale but say they will be getting more that are more affordable.

My son kept a snowflake and I have always loved eels. If ribbons were not so hard to keep, I would probably have one. It may get somewhat more visible and they do get to know their keepers.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back