• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Is it a good idea?

to be honest... no. it is always better to get experience with easier to keep fish and inverts first before octopuses, but it is not out of reach by any means!

welcome to tonmo.com :smile:

Colin said:
welcome to tonmo.com :smile:

Hehe, thanks... :smile:

Colin said:
to be honest... no. it is always better to get experience with easier to keep fish and inverts first before octopuses, but it is not out of reach by any means!

Comparing with fish, what kind of extra care will I need to have with an octopus?

Also, I've noticed in many posts that a lot of cephalopods come from tropical countries. What kind of easy-to-care-for octopuses can I find in South America, more specifically, in Brazil?

Thanks!

its really just a matter of experience, being able to test water, do water changes, proper feeding etc etc.. just stuff that comes with experience, im sure that nancy will agree as her octo tank was her first, but she is also testament that it can be done!

Yes, Ollie was my first octopus. I prepared for some time before getting a tank, and followed all of Colin's advice. My tank was set up and running for four months before I got Ollie, and I would recommend this for everyone. This is not a thing to hurry into. I learned a lot during this period that helped me give Ollie a good life.

Keeping an octopus was a lot of work, expensive (to give her the best food including live food), time-consuming, and more stressful than I anticipated - but also more rewarding.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back