• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

is flatworm exit cuttle safe?

I did some research on it and decided against it. Not so much because of the possible reaction to the medication itself but more the reaction caused by the toxin released when the flatworms die. I've also read about some nightmare scenarios that have happened where fish had died mysteriously after dosing with FWE. I just wouldn't take the risk of nuking my cuttles...especially since I couldnt find any references to actual owners of cephs or cuttles that have used it. Maybe if you could corral and quarantine the cuttles during the treatment that would solve my concern. I opted for a biological destroyer, the dreaded scooter blenny. She keeps the numbers in check and for some reason my cuttles have zero interest in making her a light snack, although they certainly could. I had a six line that wouldnt touch them but have heard from others that six lines and four line wrasse worked well, or at least worked to some extent.

The yellow coris wrasse is terrific, and I have always kept at least one. I kept coris, leopard (serveral types of). The mystery wrasse is beautiful but wasn't so good at flatworms. With regard to flatworm exit....you have to turn your skimmer off as it goes crazy. It also depletes oxygen in the system so I hooked up an airstone and put it in the return portion of the sump to oxygenate the return water into the DT.

After a couple of days you do a 20% water change. Never hurt any of my inhabiants (snails, hermits, shrimp, starfish, fish, porcelain crabs). But a coris will do the trick. Hope this helps.

I'm not looking for a fish to add to the tank. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I've used flatworm exit a couple of times in my display worked wonderfully.

Now they are in the frag tank. I suppose I can isolate the cuttles for a day just to be safe. Since no one has used it with cuttlefish I won't take the chance.

What is the point of doing it? Are they the nuisance flatworms that eat corals/etc? If not, just leave them. If there's a high number of them, then there's obviously a large amount of food that they're eating, so in the long run, they're helping your system...

When there population is low they are not a problem, but if their numbers are too great and they start to die off they release a toxiscity in the water that can kill everything in your system. That is why people keep them in check. Planaria populations can grow quickly.

They are also very unslightly. On top of which they are in my frag tank so any corals I move to either my other tanks or other peoples tanks will be infected. They are a very annoying pest even if they do not cause any real damage.

I'll be doing the flatworm exit treatment next week. I'm going to leave 2 cuttlefish in the tank and keep the rest sectioned off. Since no one knows if flatworm exit is cuttlefish safe I will try and find out without risking too many of them.

When I was keeping a reef system (before cuttles) I did not quarantine the corals...but I would always use "pro-coral-cure" from Tropic Marin to dip them for pest control prior to introducing them into the DT. I have noticed on occasion that the Planaria would typically be at the bottom of the container after several minutes of the dip. It is an iodine bath for parasitic flatworms and the acropora spiders.

Flatworm exit IS cuttlefish safe. I left 4 cuttlefish in when I did the treatment and none are worse for wear. Can't say the same for the flatworms. I love flatworm exit. It works so well even if you have to overdose. Tomorrow I will do a small dose again with the cuttles whos tank is plumbed in line with the frag tank normally in case there are any in there. I don't see any but normally the water is connected.

Thanks,

That is good to know. My cuttles were plumbed inline with a frag farm and I wanted to treat but didn't want to risk it + knew the cuttles were moving soon.
I have heard the FWE will not kill eggs so a follow up treatment in 2 weeks is best. I also use TMPCC as incoming prophylactic treatment on any corals / rock.

FWE is a great product but not as great as they claim. I triple dosed and 99% did drop dead right away but there were a few stragglers so I've had to redose. I will take your advice and dose in another week to be extra sure.

I've used it in the past and completely eliminated populations it's just it takes a bit more then they claim.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back