• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Is a 16 gallon tank too small?

octoloco

Larval Mass
Registered
I've been researching pet octos now for months and someone down the road offered me a beautiful, almost new 16 gallon bow front tank for free. I was anticipating purchasing a 30 gallon, but this tank is hard to pass up. What do you think? If its do'able, what is the best species to try to find for this small a tank?

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
We recommend at least 30 gallons for pygmy octos, 50 gallons and up for some of the larger octos.

The larger octos are generally much more interactive, and the pygmy octos are generally very shy and strictly nocturnal.

You might check out this thread: http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9626/

Have a look at the Journals and Photos forum to get an idea of what species people are keeping and what they need.

Members online

No members online now.