• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Iridoteuthis Berry, 1909

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
I wanted to post about Iridoteuthis iris because I was so amazed by the eye-to-body ratio! :shock: I feel like this should set a world record or something. I. iris is categorized in the bobtail squids. These little guys live around Hawaii, and get to be a couple of centimeters long.

Info at:
http://tolweb.org/Iridoteuthis_iris/111801

Attachments

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
Obviously, this is not a little guy we would find diving. Nothing I know of has eyes like that and lives where there is enough light for humans to see.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
This must be a juvenile, right?

I *just* saw this thread that you started two days ago, and find it really weird that yesterday I posted about Vampyroteuthis' status as having the largest eye-to-body ratio in the animal kingdom. Brain osmosis!

DWhatley

Cthulhu
Staff member
I noticed the "largest eye" comment on vampy too and wondered if that was accurate after seeing this one. If this is a juvenile, that might explain it.

Members online

No members online now.