Introducing Ziggy

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by Barnstorm, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Barnstorm

Barnstorm Blue Ring Registered

Arrived from FishSupply yesterday. Fed him after work today, he chowed on a big (for him) shrimp.

A quick pic of my nano also. ;)

Attached Files:

2. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Hi! Ziggy!! He looks cute, I'm assuming he's a bimac?

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to Ziggy! He is a cute little guy. How big is he? - it's hard to tell from the pics.

Nice nano, too.

Nancy

4. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Congrats!! He's adorable and love the name!!! Please keep us updated lots!!!

Carol

5. Barnstorm

Thanks!

Yes, Ziggy is a bimac. The tank was prepped and cycled for a cuttle but since they wont be available until mid-summer I thought I bimac would be a good choice.

My other bimac was wild-caught and a grown adult. This is the first time I have seen a baby. Cute little bugger.

With his arms pulled in he could easily sit on a dime with no over hang. With arms out it looks like he could hold the edges of a US silver dollar.

I watched him explore around and he seems much less cordinated and graceful then the adult bimac I had. I assume this 'grace' will come in time.

6. dbbga

dbbga Vampyroteuthis Registered

Very cute little Bimac, I bet Ziggy and Dottie are siblings :grin:

7. Barnstorm

dbbga,

Yes, what size is yours now?

Ziggy is very very small.

I am very glad he is eating as I thought he would be farther along.

He exhibits what seems to be odd behavior.

He does not spend much time in his caves. He even stays outside of his caves when I open the plastic cage and feed him. He just stays put and turns dark on me.

8. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Torture!

You are all evil. Making me look at all these beautiful pictures and stories of octopus pets before my tank is cycled.

EVIL!

Dan

9. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Ziggy, is lovely!

J

10. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

Welcome to Ziggy

Does this mean OctoPets are getting more officinalis in the Summer?

11. Barnstorm

Shrimp friends or picky eater??

Ok, now I have seen it all.

Ziggy still would rather hang on the side of the 'crib' then in his caves.

He has eaten a shrimp a day since I got him until yesterday.

Yesterday I put a nice little shrimp in his crib and he did not touch it. after a while the shrimp calmed down and would walk by Ziggy and he would just half-heartedly put out a tenticle out over the shrimp and that is it. It's like Ziggy and the shrimp are old pals or something?!?

I thought maybe he was not hungry. I checked on him today and the shrimp is still there! Both are just chilln like old pals!

I retested all the things you can test... temp, water, what is up? Just as I was starting to wonder if my new ROI setup was not up to snuff I decided to try a differn't food.

I found a wee tiny hermit crab and threw it the crib and ZAP he grabed the crab (shell and all) and took it into one of his caves. I guess he ate it.. He is now back out of the cave and hanging on his door step with the shrimp.

Go figgure...

12. chrono_war01

chrono_war01 Colossal Squid Supporter

aw...nice. Just like Shark Tales where the shark gets to be friends with a prey.

13. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

Barnstorm,

How do you keep the PVC from floating? Is there just enough sand in there to weigh them down or is there a little dab of silicon tacking them in place?

Dan

14. Barnstorm

Dan,

They don't float. They are just sitting there.

I am quite worried about Zig, he still has not eaten the shrimp. The hermit he took into the lair he tossed out yesterday and the body looks pretty intact. He took another one in today but no body yet.

I should be getting some baby clams in a day or so. Hopefully, he will eat those. All water conditions are good and all other life in the tank is doing well.

15. Nancy

Does Ziggy have any amphipods or anything else in the tank he could be eating? You might also try a small piece of frozen thawed shrimp.

He was raised on the clams and must like them, but they seem to be hard to keep. Hope they work!

Nancy

16. Barnstorm

Nancy,

Me to! Thanks!!

I have a wee bit of live rock in the crib with him and a good bit of live rock in the aquarium but I am pretty sure that the pod population is low.

My live caught bimac was eating me out of house and aquarium after only a day or so up until old age set in.

17. Barnstorm

Clams are on the menu!

Baby clams arrived today (thanks octopets!) and when I dropped one in it hardly spent a second on the ground before it was grabbed and wisked away into Zig's den.

The shrimp is still in the crib and doing just fine...

18. 3000gtman

3000gtman O. bimaculoides Registered

how is he with the anenomme and the clowns. i have a 150 gallon with lots of live rock and an anenomme and a clarki clown and some damsels. it is just fully cycled and all i need ot do is seal the top of the tank then i can get my octo. let me know about the anenomme please it would be a great help and people say they cant be kept with octos's you must have proved them wrong

greg

19. Nancy

If this is an anenome that stings, it's not good to put your octo in with it. The octos from octopets are tiny and would need to be protected by being in a special container for a while.

I guess Ziggy missed his baby food :smile: You might try buying a live clam or mussel, opening it and cutting a tiny piece for Zig and seeing whether he would take it. He can't eat baby clams forever.

Barnstorm, how are you keeping the baby clams?

Nancy

20. Barnstorm

Greg,

I snuck that reef photo in. That is not my octo tank. That is my nano-cube. The greatest reef tank setup I have ever worked with.

In the octo tank Ziggy is in a 'crib', a small plastic 'critter cage'. In the tank I have 1 damsel which is very mild mannered, 3 brittle stars (1 small, 2 baby stars), 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 sand-sifting star, 2 conch sand sifters, 1 chocolate chip star, 1 turbo snail, 1 small female fiddler crab and a small workforce of blue and red legged hermit crabs.

I have a couple of pieces of live rock that I hand-picked for there 'caves'.

The bottom of the tank is 2/3 fine reef sand and 1/3 fine crushed shells.

Lots of the tank livestock will become food for Ziggy once he outgrows his crib. I need them now to keep up the tank and give the biological filter a load.

In the nano-reef-tank I keep anemones but only because the clowns like em. They are a big pain and a risk to the tank. Also, they need light that I doubt the octo would be happy with.

My previous bimac left my damsel alone for the most part but I had one damsel that would try to push the octopus out of it's territory! If you have a good healthy anemone that is established I think you would be 'ok' but I would think it an unnecessary risk. Don't let the anemone tumble down on the octo's lair.

Do you have a new tank for the octopus? If so you could get it cycled up fast by using rock, sand, filter material, water changes and other stuff from your cycled 150. It is expensive but I am a BIG fan of Fritzime. It is the only product that delivers what so many other flim-flamers promise.

Otherwise, get a plastic cage to put in your tank for a crib and see how it goes.

Nancy,

Thanks!

I am keeping the clams in a 2.5 gallon glass aquarium right now. I plan on putting the whole 2.5 gal in my 75 gallon. I will keep glass lid on so I can feed the clams snow without it dispersing in the tank. Someday I will let him sneak into the clam tank and have his pick.

He seems to have a hard time opening the clams so I cracked the shells of two today and gave them to him.