introducing myself

haggs

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hi, After lurking and searching here for a fair while now, I decided it was time to add my name to the "Members List". I've had SW tanks for about 8 years. I enjoy snorkling and a bit of photography, when I combine the two I tend to lose track of time. I have spent many hours watching and making "friends" with some of the local octopus that live near my home town. My name is Vaughn, but I'm mostly known as "Haggs".

gee... thanks for the warm welcome. I have so much more to read up on now, heres a couple of pictures that I have taken ...

occyeye.jpg

Occy.jpg

if there is a prefered size for the posted images please let me know, for next time, and if anyone wants to have a guess at what sort of octopus it is please do so. thanks again ..haggs

I don't know the species, but you got me thinking about how effective the stripe through the eye can be at keeping the octo's horizontal rectangular pupil from breaking its camouflage... Where were these pictures taken?

Contrary to what I have written as "my address" I actually live at Sawtell, (even less people would know where that is) where the pictures were taken, for most of you that wont mean a thing, but it's about half between Sydney and Brisbane. I'm fortunate enough to live about a mile and half from the beach and there are several rock pools that normally house up to 4 octopus. I tried to "attach" a placemarker from Google earth to show you exactly where, but I can't get it to work. However if you are keen and want to know it did come up in a search as "Sawtell NSW Australia". haggs

haggs;128150 said:
I tried to "attach" a placemarker from Google earth to show you exactly where, but I can't get it to work. However if you are keen and want to know it did come up in a search as "Sawtell NSW Australia". haggs

If you become a supporter, there is a Tonmo Frappr map where you can add your location.

Great pics! Now I will ask what everyone else has been studiously avoiding. How did you get the nickname Haggs? Do you eat haggis?

Just cause I'm from Australia doesn't make me that sick to want to eat Haggis :yuck:

Typical... back at school so many..many years ago when your friends show their "friendship" by giving you a nickname, my surname, Hagelstein got shortened, and it has stuck ever since.

cuttlegirl, I breifly read about being a suporter, I will go back and re-read that bit. thanks for the heads up. haggs

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back