Introducing myself and Eleanora

AnAquarist

Hatchling
Registered
I'm Ali. I'm an aquarist at a small marine science center. We are currently hosting Eleanora, a giant pacific octopus. We are wanting to move into one of our other local species which doesn't come with quite such a convenient husbandry guide, the Red Pacific. So I'm lurking around for tips on smaller species.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to TONMO / thanks for joining! What is the tank size? I wonder if O. vulgaris (common octopus) wouldn't be a more manageable size for your needs? Not a particularly small species, but smaller than GPO.

Welcome to TONMO / thanks for joining! What is the tank size? I wonder if O. vulgaris (common octopus) wouldn't be a more manageable size for your needs? Not a particularly small species, but smaller than GPO.

The GPO is in 560 gallon tank, open system. She will be released in September per our collection permit. It's a doable tank but requires a lot of time to provide sufficient enrichment to keep her happy.

I'm looking at a 70g tank for the O. rubescens. We focus on local species and are located in Washington State, so O. vulgaris is not an option for us. It's not a common captive species for some very good reasons (nocturnal, nasty bite, likes to escape) but as you said, a smaller octopus would be better for our facility size.

Hey Ali! Sorry I am late to the party here1 It has been quite the month, which I will have to update everyone on soon.
However, I just want to say how awesome it is to see video of Ellie!!! My grad student (Monica Culler, I think. Or maybe it was Katie Pekar) caught Ellie and we kept her here at Rosario Beach Marine Lab for a couple months. After that, we passed her to Dominic Sivitilli at Friday Harbor, and he then passed her to you all down at Port Townsend. I really need to make my way down there soon to see her before you release her!
I would also be happy to help figure out how to take care of O. rubescens as much as I can! I have kept.....many... Not really sure how many... Maybe 700 or so over my career. I could even help get you some if you like.
Anyhow, get in touch with me! I would love to hear how Eleanor is doing and tell you anything you would like to know about O. rubescens.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back