Introducing myself and Eleanora

AnAquarist

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Ali. I'm an aquarist at a small marine science center. We are currently hosting Eleanora, a giant pacific octopus. We are wanting to move into one of our other local species which doesn't come with quite such a convenient husbandry guide, the Red Pacific. So I'm lurking around for tips on smaller species.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Welcome to TONMO / thanks for joining! What is the tank size? I wonder if O. vulgaris (common octopus) wouldn't be a more manageable size for your needs? Not a particularly small species, but smaller than GPO.

AnAquarist

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to TONMO / thanks for joining! What is the tank size? I wonder if O. vulgaris (common octopus) wouldn't be a more manageable size for your needs? Not a particularly small species, but smaller than GPO.
The GPO is in 560 gallon tank, open system. She will be released in September per our collection permit. It's a doable tank but requires a lot of time to provide sufficient enrichment to keep her happy.

I'm looking at a 70g tank for the O. rubescens. We focus on local species and are located in Washington State, so O. vulgaris is not an option for us. It's not a common captive species for some very good reasons (nocturnal, nasty bite, likes to escape) but as you said, a smaller octopus would be better for our facility size.

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Reaction score
Gotcha. Hopefully we'll get some suggestions here...

Are you near Seattle Aquarium / Puget Sound?

Taollan

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Ali! Sorry I am late to the party here1 It has been quite the month, which I will have to update everyone on soon.
However, I just want to say how awesome it is to see video of Ellie!!! My grad student (Monica Culler, I think. Or maybe it was Katie Pekar) caught Ellie and we kept her here at Rosario Beach Marine Lab for a couple months. After that, we passed her to Dominic Sivitilli at Friday Harbor, and he then passed her to you all down at Port Townsend. I really need to make my way down there soon to see her before you release her!
I would also be happy to help figure out how to take care of O. rubescens as much as I can! I have kept.....many... Not really sure how many... Maybe 700 or so over my career. I could even help get you some if you like.
Anyhow, get in touch with me! I would love to hear how Eleanor is doing and tell you anything you would like to know about O. rubescens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Candace Harrett

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards