Introducing CephWorld, a new cephalopod species database

ceph

Wonderpus
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Today at the Cephalopod International Advisory Council meeting here in Brazil, we announced the launch of a new cephalopod database, CephWorld. Go ahead and click the link and kick the tires. The database is currently a dynamic list of over 800 species; I still have a lot of work to do just on the taxonomy (more species to add as well as a lot of giant squid to consolidate) but we are officially up and running. We plan to add images and videos in time as well as interoperability with TONMO and other sites. At some point I'll probably be asking the ceph community for help in various ways (identifying newly described species, images, videos, links, problems, etc). This project is a self funded labor of love so please be patient with us.

Attachments

• conv_305343.pdf
    145.4 KB · Views: 219
It would be really, really great if you had the official descriptions and at least one photo when all is said and done. Finding official descriptions is near impossible and most other databases lack photos as well. I would volunteer to help but these are things I have not been able to find myself!

Photos are already in the plan. I'm taking note here at CAIC of who has great images.

I agree that descriptions would be great as well. As with all data, someone needs to find the information, make sure we have permission to use it, format it in a standardized manner and then get it to us. This is often difficult but the beauty of a database is that this only has to happen once, not over and over again as each of us individually repeat this process.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back