[Octopus]: Intro Octomus Bimac

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
In the absence of specific identity traits, dissection or DNA evidence, hobbyists do best to assume the most likely for similar species ID. In the cases of bimaculoides vs bimaculatus, the former is the most likely as it is often found in tide pools and shallow water where bimaculatus is a deeper water, less often seen species.

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
John Forsythe once told me that bimacs always have some of the color yellow in their mottled pattern, and that this is a help in identifying them. Yellow is sometimes hard to pick out in underwater photos, but don't I see some in Octomus's photos?

Nancy

Tomh

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, sorry its been awhile. Been crazy busy. Here are some more pics. Octomus is doing well. He is very interactive one of his favorite things is playing with the wiffle ball i have in the tank. He loves to get the food out of it. He grabbed my hand the other day and was trying to pull it in the tank. After a while i felt his beak scrapping the palm of my hand almost like he was tasting me. Very anxious and weird feeling LOL

Attachments

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Reaction score
Please look under the Tonmo articles for the Octopus bimaculoides Care Sheet.
This is an article I wrote and contains a good photo of the eye spot (that's Ollie, my bimac!)

Nancy

Tomh

GPO
Registered
Reaction score
Sad to report that after almost a year of complete enjoyment and fascination Octomus has passed. He stopped eating and died a few days later. Thanks for your insght. Tom