christine's pics 982.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 185
  • christine's pics 983.jpg
    christine's pics 983.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 196
  • christine's pics 984.jpg
    christine's pics 984.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 183
So I want to ask. I have a 93g cube and the 90 I had Tranny in. With this octo would you think it would be better to use a cube or the normal 4' tank. I also have a 6' 125 in storage that I could set up. Any of these are options because I have cycled rock, filters, skimmers Ect all ready running so almost no cycle time. So what tank would be best? I want to make Casper as happy as possible
Also at this size if Casper bit me is there any real concern? I ask because I want to handle him more. As most octos go he wants to pull my hand to his mouth and I wont let him. If I let him is there much to be concerned about. As a transmission builder my hands are very beat up and lots of cuts but not to worried about any real pain. I know they have a bit of poison but I think the amount changes with species. I could be very wrong about this and have not taken the time to look it up yet. I just want to let him get more comfortable with me. I used to play tag with tranny all the time but he didn't want to pull me to his mouth much. Casper does.

I would think the longer tank vs the square to allow a little swimming room. The 125 is probably ideal. Look over @Lmecher 's thread for el Diablo.

I can't advise on the touch with an aggressive animal (because what I might try and what is smart may not be the same). I never let an octo bring my hand to its mouth as being bitten (even if it is experimental and no venom is injected) is a likely outcome. Most will get it and stop insisting. I think I gave up too soon with LittleBit. We don't have a vulgaris bite story yet so how strong or how long lasting the venom is not here in writing (and I don't know of another site where you might find that kind of info). Most octo bites that break the skin have left swelling (check the bites thread for numbness and duration for some of the other species) and that might not be the best for your work. I would definitely keep some Benadryl and antibiotic cream on hand if you experiment (and ask you to report, regardless of the outcome :cephdevil:). The couple of times I have been nipped have been from senescent octos I was holding that did not want to be put back onto the live rock (soft hand better than bristle worm rocks I suspect). I have yet to have a skin break (I thought a merc drew a tiny drop of blood once but I think it was a spec of Cyclop-eeze :oops:).

Yesterday I did a good cleaning of Caspers tank and I must say he did not care for it. He has been pissed all day. Came out for dinner tonight but for the most part has stayed away since 5pm yesterday. Tomorrow he is being moved to another tank so he will have more space. Wanted to do it yesterday but catching fish is not easy.

Thanks Tonmo i will try that.
Fish doctor, I really am. There is nothing wrong with all the other octos I have had "And its been a bunch" But a vulgaris has so much more personality. As I said I cleaned his tank and he was pissy for a couple days. He will come out in the open but will just sit there and stare at me. Like how dare you move anything in my tank. The fact that he come out to see anyone who comes to the tank is fantastic. Not afraid!!!

Keep reminding yourself that he/she is young and newly introduced so you will see changes in "personality" for the first month or so. LittleBit HATED it when I cleaned her tank - always :biggrin2:

Very true D, But its been since oct 10 so its more then 6 weeks. But I know what you mean. All my other octos have changed personality a couple times as I had them. The new tank is going to be in the living room and not in the fish room to make sure there is as much interaction as possible. It might not work but I am going to do everything I can to keep Casper involved and entertained. No idea if it will make any difference but he/she is very interested in what ever is going on in the house.

I definitely think keeping them in a room where they are often exposed to people helps to make them more human friendly. We have kept a couple in the living room (where we rarely go close to the tank but can see it from the kitchen) but most in the breakfast room (where we eat dinner nightly and cross through to go to the cars) and the octos kept in the living room have always been shier.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back