intro and rescued octo reaction

Indigo

Hatchling
Registered
Hi all. I just joined because a video (Beached octopus thanks rescuer) I saw inspired me to learn more about these creatures. I have a deep appreciation for a variety of non-human animals and I have shared my home and life with a long string of other species in need of rescue. I currently care for my remaining 16 year-old chinchilla (one of a pair who both lived the majority of their lives with me) who has taught me more than I could possibly say about life and love. Though I have never had an opportunity to get to know an octopus, I'm thinking that I'd love to appreciate these creatures more and ask those who know them to comment on what they see going on in this video.

It would not surprise me to learn that this might, in fact, be some sort of aware response to knowledge of being "rescued." It also would not surprise me to learn that it might be something completely different that this octopus is responding to or communicating about. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Whatever is the case, I am certain to learn something and appreciate these animals more.

Thanks in advance!

Indigo

Agree with DWhatley the dangers of anthropomorphising. If you're interested in cephalopod conciousness, I can recommend reading Other Minds: The Octopus, The Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness as an introductory book on the topic.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back