Intersexuality in Ancistrocheirus lesueurii

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I found this interesting paper on male squid that had nidamental glands (a female characteristic).

Hoving, H. J. T., Roeleveld, M. A. C., Lipinski, M. R. and Videler, J. J. (2006), Nidamental glands in males of the oceanic squid Ancistrocheirus lesueurii (Cephalopoda: Ancistrocheiridae) – sex change or intersexuality?. Journal of Zoology, 269: 341–348.

The paper can be found here.

I'm curious if this has been documented in any other squid in the last 6 years. Hmmmm...

This kind of paper makes me want a sticky entitled, "stuff you never knew existed". First thought was, cool a squid that changes sexes but they discounted that right away. Unfortunately, rather than a natural occurring event their conclusion adds more fuel to the planet pollution fire.

He presented on this at CIAC '06 and it was fascinating. There might also be something about it in his thesis -- need to check my copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back