• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Interaction

Three days ago my new octo arrived. My brother oddly named him Nuthead, but it stuck. This octopus is larger than the rest, but I am still unsure of its species. I think that this one may also be an abdopus aculeatus, but I’m not sure. Anyway, nuthead is much more shy than my previous octos. He only comes out when no one is there, and every time I get near the tank he hides. How can I get him (or her, for that matter. I do not yet know the gender) to not be fearful of me? I feel that that is a necessity before I begin the interaction. I can’t give nuthead food to make him like me because he or she doesn’t like it when I approach the tank. Another issue is that nuthead hasn’t eaten yet. I’ve been trying thawed frozen krill.... any suggestions?
Although it would probably be hard to identify the species by these photos, here are pics of nuthead being acclimated. Do any of you know what this octopus might be?
9F0CC400-9064-46FA-A302-514C2FCC7900.jpeg
7A37CC4B-2F10-43D2-8FDF-6054D7294D7A.jpeg

Would you mind telling me where you purchased this from. Was it an online retailer, I have been trying to acquire a young octopus myself. He looks like he will be a great pet for you!

Sorry, as you surmised, the photos don't give any hints on species. It usually takes an octopus about a month to fully acclimate to a captive environment and often a behavior change is seen at that point (unfortunately, sometimes they become more reclusive). I recommend sitting in the room with it for 1/2 to 1 hour every day at the same time and do something that does not include a lot of moving around like watch TV, read a book or eat a meal.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back