• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Injured Australian Wild Caught Cuttlefish help required!

Jayro

Hatchling
Registered
Hi, I'm kinda new at this so bear with me!
I have a aquaone 620 set up with cold salt water and fine sand substrate, but havent had anything residing in it.
However, while out fishing we came across a Cuttlefish that was obviously unwell and was stranded in a rockpool. We made the call to bring it back with us, and after a few hours it seems to be doing much better, it has now slowed down its erratic movements and seems to follow us up and down the tank.

After an inspection it looks like it has been injured by a fish or a shark as it has a few puncture wounds on its body, so we are not sure if it will make it in the wild.

So im after some advice from those of you who know your stuff in terms of what to feed it, how to do it, how to help it adjust to tank life and what I can keep with it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

It's somewhere between 15-20cms, im not sure if its a he or a she tho! (anyone who could help here?...)

The 620 is 120L I think, im not too sure, it's fairly large!

Attachments

• conv_296713.jpg
    conv_296713.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 119
Jayro,
I would like to add the words "Wild Caught" and Australian to your title to help identify your need and to get attention of some of our Down Under folks that may have missed the request. If this is acceptable, PM me or post here and I will make the changes.

Very cool!

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure your aquarium is much too small properly house this animal. an animal that size requires a tank more like 1000L. The only species kept in the home aquarium is the Sepia Bandensis, or Dwarf Cuttle.

there is a great article about keeping cuttlefish here:
Cephalopod Care

Yeah no worries mate, if that would help change it for sure!
1000L! yikes, that sounds expensive! if thats the case I think ill have to re-release it as soon as it's well.
We grabbed 8 small crabs from the rocks this arvo (about an inch across including the legs, give or take half an inch). The cuttlefish, since named "Elroy", quickly ate half of them. We've noticed the wounds on its back are healing nicely, but slowly. It definately appears much more lively and happy this afternoon, and is very inquisitive of our movements outside the tank. We noticed some strange behaviours however, in one instance it appeared to be toying with one of the crabs, rolling it onto its back and pushing it around but not eating it.

Is there a way to tell if it is male/female or an approximate age?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back