Information on Mastigoteuthidae revisions?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any PDFs of journal articles about the most recent revisions that Mastigoteuthidae has undergone? I'm trying to write a proposal for NSERC (when you do it for a master's it doesn't have to be what your project is, just something in science and since I've heard this family is messed up, it seemed like a good one to use for this). All I have been able to find is articles that my university doesn't have access to.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Heather,
I am confused. Is your University in Canada or now in NZ? If you are still in the Western Hemisphere, you might PM Kat in case she misses this post. Otherwise, I assume you have direct access :sagrin:

Well, by "my university" I mean the university I'm working at and did my undergrad. I'm still in Guelph so I have to apply for NSERC through Guelph and it's where I can access articles. I'm going to be at AUT in March, but I'm not sure how it works for getting article access from Canada. I think you're right that I should just ask Kat :smile:

Heather, it's a complete and utter dogs breakfast! If you are serious about revising this family then you have my full support. No, there are NO revisions of this family, with the exception of those by Alejandro Salcedo-Vargus. I have these in hard copy but can send them to you (when I pdf them); I can also send you a proposal to work up the related Chiroteuthidae (just completed) that might assist you in securing funding.

For a Masters this would be a great topic - but you MUST limit yourself to a REGIONAL review - to try and attempt anything more than this would be well over your head. There is a reason it has not been done! Honest - this group is an absolute nightmare, and even for New Zealand you'll have a number of either new genera, new species, or redescription of species that simply are not recognised today (they are so obscure) that haven't been referred to for over a hundred years, which may have been originally described from larval forms. A VERY difficult group to even begin to take on!!!

Thanks Steve, it would be great if you could send me PDFs, the problem is that the proposal is due by this Friday. Do you know what state the specimens that I would be working on are in? By that I mean, is there any chance that I might be able to use molecular tools along with traditional taxonomy?

No molecular on these Heather - they've all been fixed in formalin, then transferred to alcohol (eitherETOH or isop); I just saw this and have a rather crushing load on - not sure if I can get anything to you by today. I actualy have ALL the specimens from NZ collections at work right now - I could get a count of lots if that would help

Thanks Steve, I think that my proposal will be fine with the information I found since it doesn't have to be exactly the same as the project I end up doing, it just has to be a proposal. That's great that you have all the NZ specimens for them! I am so excited for starting grad school!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back