Info on octopus and squid, for the beginner

Discussion in 'Education and Employment' started by Steve O'Shea, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

I'd just like to draw to your attention a new online dictionary, where there is some interesting information on octopus and squid. Click here.

This should be great for beginners coming into the weird and wonderful world of cephalopods, as an online resource for information for your assignment.

Once you've read through this you can ask your questions away online, right here.

2. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

This looks just wonderful, Steve. I've only just begun to read it, but the overview looks great.

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Awesome! And with a link to TONMO.com -- 8-). Look forward to reading it in full.

4. Carl J. Bobrow

Carl J. Bobrow Blue Ring Registered

more squid & octopus for the beginner

The following link is to the Norwegian School of Veterinary Science page of The Norwegian Reference Centre for Laboratory Animal Science & Alternatives. It links to multiple sites for lab illustrations and material.

http://oslovet.veths.no/produkter.aspx?search=squid

5. June

June Larval Mass Registered

Does anyone know how the mother octopus strings the eggs together? Are the eggs strung onto one string or knit together?

6. Armstrong

Armstrong Vampyroteuthis Registered

Something i'd love to know too...cuz its never been explained or answered every time I ask it. It seems pretty suprising though if theit actually strung together by the mother octopus because it seems like too tedius and intricate of work for an animal w/ no joints in its arms and no ADVANCED coordination with limbs to perform. Nonetheless...octopuses dont know what their doing with their arms or what their holding unless phsyically looking at it. So, it seems like a mystery.