Info on octo eggs and care

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Trapper lived almost 12 weeks but that is VERY unusual (5 seems to be closer to the norm for a feeding mother) and she only had six young (three are 12 months old and counting). Greg (gholland) DID update Varys' thread and added a terrific video of the babies eating as well as info on feeding:

http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/9144/

Trapper's children's thread is located here: http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/7853/

and contains a link back to the original (as does gholland's - copying is the highest form of flattery ;>)

If the decriptions are correct, almost all dwarfs listed as O. joubini are actually O. mercatoris. Supposedly the only way to tell the difference is in the egg size and you definitely have the larger eggs attributed to the Mercs.

I hope you will join Lev, Gred and I in adding a journal of your full adventure with your new brood.

Reaction score
I never did get our young hatchlings to eat cyclopeeze the way D's did. I had the same problem you describe and lost all 15 babies I tried feeding that way. I think D had hers in a net with a return jet that kept the particles constantly moving like live food. For the next batch of hatchlings I ended up buying several bottles of live "tigger pods" (Tigriopus califoricus) the first week or so until I switched them over to live mysis. That worked well for me. I think the key is to have a high density of food items that move.

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking that the round thing next to the one on the glass might be a yolk sack... if it is, then it probably won't need to eat until it's done with the yolk. Or is it investigating a snail and that's the snail's foot, or something like that?

Reaction score
Monty
Yes that was a yolk sac, that pic was taken right after that one hatched. He ate it in about 10 mins. Im sure they are hungry by now. How often do you guys feed your babies.

Reaction score
Animal Mother;114025 said:
If you can't find live mysis soon try to scavenge some pods from your larger tank. Do you have a refugium?
I can't find live mysis anywhere locally. I got some tiger pods today they didn't have any amphipods In stock they should have some tomorrow so i will get those. I am going to scavenge some pods and baby shrimp out of my refugium. I probably have a couple hundred thousand Its just trying to get them out of the one tank and into the other. I was just going to put a bunch into the octopus tank and let them hunt for them does this sound like a good idea?

Members online

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumit

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak