Infected arms

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Tako_Poke, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Tako_Poke

Tako_Poke O. vulgaris Registered

Hey all,
    I just got an octopus and it seems to be adjusting well except for one thing. Its arm is wounded and Im worried it could become infected. What should I do?
    -Nick

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

I've had different octopuses that have come to me with missing legs, different injuries and as long as your water quality iis good, they have healed really quick. Maybe someone else may have a recommendatation on something to help the healing along, but I know I have never added anything and they have healed just fine. Good luck!

3. Tako_Poke

Thanks,
    It doesnt seem to be bothering the octo to much. But I am worried about water quality. I dont have any means of knowing if its good or not, I rely pretty much on color and clearity. And then I do water changes. Btw does anyone know how to prevent algal growth? I can never seem to get rid of the stuff...

4. Illithid

Illithid Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Bare minimum would be ammonia and nitrite kits to test water parameters. Color and clarity is only affected by nitrates. Algae blooms are caused by lots of things- including phosphates, nitrates and newly/poorly cycled systems.

5. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Check the ceph care articles for other testing and water change issues-- I know making certain there's no copper is extremely important, and most people recommend using RO (reverse osmosis) water for water changes to make sure it's free of contaminants.

6. Illithid

Yup, and these are just the bare minimums if you really know what to look for and are just out of the testing solutions.

Do you have alot of experience with saltwater/reef tanks?

If so - more power to ya...I have been doing saltwater for more than 20 years and still refer back to test kits.

If not - do refer to lots of instructions from the web and books. It does take some getting used to -to know what you are looking for and what is causing what to happen. It's alot like electricity - you can't see it happening, but it will knock you on your ass if you don't know what's coming.

7. Tako_Poke

Well I have some expreience. The problem is I dont have any kits and besides that I dont kno whow to use them. But I better get some fast.

8. Illithid

I use Red Sea Marine Lab. This has a bunch of kits together. Each test has a little laminated card that has simple instructions to do the tests. Using the tests is very easy-knowing what the results mean is the tricky part.

The Marine lab test kit isnt cheap, but it isnt expensive either compared to the livestock you will lose without it. I have the lab and seperate tests for copper and calcium for my corals. The "Lab" is the same as the seperate Red Sea kits-they are just bundled in the lab packaging.

www.wetwebmedia.com and www.reefcentral.com are good resources for testing and nitrogen cycle information, (TONMO is pretty specialized in cephs only.)

There is one major trick to cephs/reef keeping/life that all successful people do....
    ask tons of questions.

9. Tako_Poke

Thanks so much. But now I have another probem. The octo just inked the tank! :(

10. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

What provoked him to ink? Your protein skimmer should be able to handle it.

11. Tako_Poke

I was trying to feed him a crab and I bumped some rocks. He freaked out! Hes an angry one. Hes always red. And I dont have a protein skimmer. They are way to expensive.

12. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Since you don't have a protein skimmer, you should keep lots of extra sea water on hand to do water changes...

13. DHyslop

To be blunt, if you can't commit to a protein skimmer I don't think you have any business with an octopus.

Dan

14. Tako_Poke

Im a kid with no money. No job and parents who wont even give me 3 dollars for a school lunch.

15. DHyslop

Tako,

I'm sorry if I was a bit rough, but I do have opinions on this. A lot of us have spent big money to make safe habitats for our animals. I'm worried about your octopus because you can't seem to afford much equipment for it, you don't know much about the other animals that you put it in with, and without a test kit you can't tell how much poisonous ammonia is in the water.

I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't try to keep an aquarium and I don't want to make you feel bad. I just think you're moving a bit fast and should slow down a little. There are other kids on TONMO who have no money and start slow, keeping local crabs and things while they buy equipment over time.

Let me share with you my experience:

When I was about your age I saw an octopus in a pet store and fell in love with it. I didn't have any money and when my parents wouldn't pay for all the equipment. This was well over ten years ago, long before TONMO. The store tried to sell it to us, told us that it wouldn't need much equipment, just a small tank and an undergravel filter. We knew it was being pushed on us and it didn't sound right. We (read: my mature and responsible parents) decided that since we were unable to give it a good home we wouldn't take it. I was a kid with no money and no job and if that octopus died in my care it would have been my fault and mine alone for putting it in that environment.

Only in college did I discover TONMO and my interest in cephs and aquariums came back. Once again I knew I wasn't ready for an octopus, so I bought a used 30 gallon tank for $20 and kept clownfish. It was very hard because I didn't learn about the nitrogen cycle like I was supposed to and killed one of the clownfish. I still feel bad about that. It wasn't until that tank was set up for over a year and I had fixed the previous mistakes did I think about setting up a tank just for an octopus. And after I bought the 75 gallon tank for the octopus I spent a year and a half playing with different types of filtration and plumbing before I settled on a configuration I liked.

During that time my patience was tested as I kept being unable to get my octopus. I ordered one from Octopets but it was really tiny (smaller than a dime) and died very quickly. The next time Octopets had any in stock I was going to move soon and was worried it would be too stressful for an octo. The next time they had some my tank was still cycling. When my tank finally cycled I found out Octopets had gone out of business and I desperately tried to find some other octos or even eggs. Now six months after that I have two adolescent cuttlefish that keep me very happy.

This hobby rewards patience and often punishes eagerness. You can do it, but I think if you slow down a little bit you will be rewarded, too. You won't have to lose any sleep worried that your octo might ink during the night and die before you can do a water change.

Dan

PS - My aquarium system cost over $1000. The protein skimmer I'm using in it right now cost me $5 used. You can get a lot of good equipment real cheap, you just have to be patient and snoop around!

16. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

Thanks for posting that Dan, I think a lot of us have been worried that things are moving too fast, and while I understand and sympathize with
    Tako Poke's predicament, I was about to suggest that the octo be returned to the same area of the ocean it was captured in. There are lots of neat sea creatures out there that are probably not as difficult as cephs, and since the ocean is right around the corner, so to speak, fresh sea water changes wouldn't be such a big deal.

17. monty

monty Colossal Squid Staff Member Supporter

Very well written, Dan.

I do think it's also important to acknowledge Tako for trying to do the best s/he can within his resources, though, as well. Frankly, although s/he may have jumped in unwisely, s/he is here asking us to help in any way that we can. Maybe we can help him/her track down a used skimmer that's cheap...

(aside: as much as I think the sites that have a little male/female icon are sort of annoying, it's also weird to try to refer to posters whose name don't suggest a gender without risking offending by guessing wrong... is there any good solution to this? Maybe I'll post a poll in off-topic discussion or something...)

18. DHyslop

I got the skimmer I mentioned at an LFS. It was actually our first visit to the store and we've since become very close with them. We left with the skimmer (Turboflotor 1000) for $5, a custom hood with two compact flourescent bulbs ($25) and a 29 gallon tank that's now my sump for the big tank ($10).

Go into all the good LFS--smaller, privately owned stores, not Petco type places. Just ask the guy at the counter if they ever sell used equipment there. Another good place is the classified boards on Reefcentral. Things go fast there, within minutes, so don't bother searching unless you can snap it up that day.

The big problem with used equipment is you don't have much time to do research. I didn't even know what a needle-wheel skimmer was when I bought the TF1000, but for $5 I got lucky with it. So it helps to do some research reading old threads here and at RC and places like reefs.org to find out what equipment is good and what isn't. That way you can make fast decisions to get the good deals and not the lemons!

Dan

19. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

I was trying to avoid all gender references, but what the heck! Tako Poke, are you a boy or a girl? We sure can't refer to you as an "it"! :wink:

20. Tako_Poke

Wow. That is alot of posts. Sorry about not saying this earlier but I am a male. And your probably right Dan, I am ill equiped and rushing into things but just like you it takes me a long time to find octos as well. Its been a year since ive seen one in the wild. Spear fishers dont really spare much, and when I caught it there were some on the beach about 20 feet away from me. I think I may have saved its skin there. I also took your advice and went looking for skimmers today after school. I did manage to find a fairly nice one for 25 dollars at the local pet shop. With some hours of hard laboring im sure Ill be able to raise enough to get it. Im also about to do a water change.