Indonesian Small Octopus

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
My first thought was to look up Octopus sp 18 White V Octopus (norman) based on general coloration, (but missing the white V that should be diagnostic), size and proportions. It was supposed to have been a "Mexican" octopus but I feel quite certain it is Indonesian.

My second shot was to look at Octopus abaculus. It mentions white spots I can't identify as being diagnostic and not any of the markings I have noticed. What cirri it has shown so far is branchy but low and limited, unlike Roy's photos.

I don't believe it is a young juvenile (IME very young animals are usually translucent) but I would guess it is only 5 - 7 months old (based on inquisitive and active behavior). The mantle is under 2" and the arms at least 6" (which would put it at full grown for my species guess). Unfortunately, I did not take a photo before the bag was opened when I could see the very long arms and it has not fully exposed its arm for photographing since. It does have a rather distinct mantle marking (not always visible) somewhat in the shape of a lobster but not the expected white mark at the end of the mantle for my best guess species. The eyes are very small in proportion to the body, stalky and form a Y like aculeatus. I have seen a single horn on each but I am not sold that it is part of the abdopus family.

It can show small spikes all over its body. During acclimation with a white background it showed a gold and green coloration but for several hours it took on deep browns.

Attachments

• conv_305103.jpg
    conv_305103.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 136
  • conv_305104.jpg
    conv_305104.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 127
  • conv_305106.jpg
    conv_305106.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 154
  • conv_305105.jpg
    conv_305105.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 140
Is this one that was labeled Mexican? It looks identical to the "aculeatus" I just got. I have not seen it since i put it in the tank, but i assumed it was the Indonesian one of the two I got, because it looked so much like aculeatus...maybe i have my two octos mixed up.

Upvote 0
This was ordered as Mexican and I am 99% sure it is Indonesian. It is too small for aculeatus and has some interesting markings that may be diagnostic. I am thinking now that is probably in the the abdopus complex but the distintive markings are likely recorded somewhere.

Possible Diagnostic observations:

White stripe at the leading edge the front of arms L1 and R1 uniform in length on each arm appearing as a single stripe along the body webbing but not extending down the arms.

White spots on the underside (ventral side ?) of the mantle

Y shaped eye stalks with proportionately tiny eyes

Gill openings appear porportionately large

The previously mentioned "lobster" marking on the top (dorsal side ?) of the mantle

White Spot on ventral side of mantle.........................................White Stripes on arms

Attachments

• conv_299746.jpg
    conv_299746.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 129
  • conv_299747.jpg
    conv_299747.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 135
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back