• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Indonesian brown octopus

I had an email from my lfs today suggesting they can obtain Indonesian brown octopus for me when I am ready.

Does anyone have any information about this species please?

8leggedgroover

There are three likely candidates. A lot of O. bocki have been showing up. This is a pygmy brown species - noctural and secretive.

Abdopus aculeatus. Larger, tough, diurnal, complex behavior. Good species for the aquarium except that adults will live only a few months more.

Macropus. Seems a bit less hardy than A. aculeatus, but interesting.

Roy

The lfs has confirmed they can build the tank for me so they will have more information about it when I get back to the UK next week.

These guys should have the information I need, they will be selling the animal to me after all so the onus will be on them to provide the right data and for me to confirm and be happy with everything.

Thanks.

Mice huh?...:read: I've seen/heard of mice(live) being feed to various fish species but never to a cephalopod.

Grab the :popcorn:,.. This is going to be good.
:sink: :boohoo: Fare well fievel.

I'm just kidding, I would not recommend doing that. Though the thought stricks as amusing to watch, I would say it borderlines animal cruelty and negligence.

No kidding... Someone came here a few months ago asking about wonderpus or mimics or something saying their LFS had one and it was eating MICE! Crazy huh. I agree with the animal cruelty but which animal?? :lol:

The "mice" mentioned in the post were "pinkies', new born mice (usually frozen) that are raised as reptile food. I do find it very strange tht the octopus would eat it and wonder if the reported food was actually consumed.

I dont see the interest there for an octopus... I mean, yeah its meat but we try to feed them shrimp and they refuse it so what the hell are we doing wrong that a notoriously difficult to keep octopus is happy eating mice :lol:?

SabrinaR;171675 said:
I agree with the animal cruelty but which animal?? :lol:

Exactly what I was thinking. I can only imagine what it would look like to see a live mouse struggling at the surface and an average sized octopus trying to wrestle it below the surface. It would probably look like something out of a sci fi horror flick.

I'm all for feeding live food so long as it's appropriatly matched with the animal consuming it(i.e. acuatic prey for aquatic predators / terrestrial prey for terrestrial predators / et cetra).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back