Indonesian brown octopus

Discussion in 'Sources for Cephalopods and Food' started by 8leggedgroover, Jan 31, 2011.

1. 8leggedgroover

8leggedgroover Pygmy Octopus Registered

I had an email from my lfs today suggesting they can obtain Indonesian brown octopus for me when I am ready.

Does anyone have any information about this species please?

8leggedgroover

2. Neogonodactylus

Neogonodactylus Haliphron Atlanticus Staff Member Moderator

There are three likely candidates. A lot of O. bocki have been showing up. This is a pygmy brown species - noctural and secretive.

Abdopus aculeatus. Larger, tough, diurnal, complex behavior. Good species for the aquarium except that adults will live only a few months more.

Macropus. Seems a bit less hardy than A. aculeatus, but interesting.

Roy

3. skywindsurfer

skywindsurfer Architeuthis Registered

What about Boli octopus? I'm not really sure what region they come from. I wanna say Indo-Pacific, but don't quote me on that.

4. 8leggedgroover

8leggedgroover Pygmy Octopus Registered

The lfs has confirmed they can build the tank for me so they will have more information about it when I get back to the UK next week.

These guys should have the information I need, they will be selling the animal to me after all so the onus will be on them to provide the right data and for me to confirm and be happy with everything.

Thanks.

5. SabrinaR

SabrinaR Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Registered

I would be VERY careful trusting any LFS to confirm what is "best". I have heard of LFS's feeding mice to octopuses... why IDK but they arent smart just because they are in business... Just my :twocents:

6. skywindsurfer

Mice huh?...:read: I've seen/heard of mice(live) being feed to various fish species but never to a cephalopod.

Grab the :popcorn:,.. This is going to be good.
    :sink: :boohoo: Fare well fievel.

I'm just kidding, I would not recommend doing that. Though the thought stricks as amusing to watch, I would say it borderlines animal cruelty and negligence.

7. SabrinaR

No kidding... Someone came here a few months ago asking about wonderpus or mimics or something saying their LFS had one and it was eating MICE! Crazy huh. I agree with the animal cruelty but which animal?? :lol:

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

The "mice" mentioned in the post were "pinkies', new born mice (usually frozen) that are raised as reptile food. I do find it very strange tht the octopus would eat it and wonder if the reported food was actually consumed.

9. SabrinaR

I dont see the interest there for an octopus... I mean, yeah its meat but we try to feed them shrimp and they refuse it so what the hell are we doing wrong that a notoriously difficult to keep octopus is happy eating mice :lol:?

10. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

That was my first thought, my second was that it might be being fed to them but it probably was not eating them.

11. skywindsurfer

Only one way to find out right D?..:popcorn:

12. skywindsurfer

Exactly what I was thinking. I can only imagine what it would look like to see a live mouse struggling at the surface and an average sized octopus trying to wrestle it below the surface. It would probably look like something out of a sci fi horror flick.

I'm all for feeding live food so long as it's appropriatly matched with the animal consuming it(i.e. acuatic prey for aquatic predators / terrestrial prey for terrestrial predators / et cetra).