[Image] The Largest Ammonite In the World

Hmmmm......an 'interesting' theory, octomush. I'm going to have agree with its randomness, I'm afraid.

Juvenile ammonite hatchlings, known as 'ammonitellas' developed their initial shell, a.k.a 'protoconch' whilst still inside the egg. It is thought ammonites produced many small eggs unlike the modern Nautilus, which produces fewer larger ones.

Phil

Yes Im afraid I have masters degree in stupidity! :mrgreen: Thats cool though, the growing of the shells in the eggs and stuff. And it makes u wonder..... If those things ate those dinosaurs a long time ago. Then how come their close reletives the nautilous doesnt feed on those swimming iguanas from the gallapogos islands? Lol Yes its one stupid question after another.... lol

Octomush,

Unless we have missed fossils of ammonites that grew to seventy foot high, moved onto land, and developed razor sharp beaks capable of piercing tough flesh and bone, they were not capable of 'feeding on dinosaurs'.

Phil said:
Octomush,

Unless we have missed fossils of ammonites that grew to seventy foot high, moved onto land, and developed razor sharp beaks capable of piercing tough flesh and bone, they were not capable of 'feeding on dinosaurs'.

We have the Pacific Tree Octopus, why not the Triassic Fern Ammonite?

Snafflehound said:
Triassic Fern Ammonite
:smile:

Octomush said:
LOL now that would be cool..... But what I meant was those swimming dinos u know the ones with the fins and stuff? :roflmao:

I'm afraid they were not dinosaurs, I'd imagine you are referring to plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs. Have a look at these two great sites for more information:

Ichthyosaur Home Page

The Plesiosaur Site

Here's another image of the giant ammonite Parapusozia from Germany. Stunning.

Attachments

• conv_287587.jpg
    conv_287587.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 157
Thought you all might enjoy this reconstruction of the giant ammonite I found on a Japanese website:

Attachments

• conv_287623.jpg
    conv_287623.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 362

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back