• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

I'm the proud new owner...

... of an inklet :bugout:

He's about 2 inches long, from the tip of his head to the tips of his tentacles. His head's about the size of a peanut, and he's red. His eyes are comically large. He has some texture to him, sometimes smooth, sometimes spikey, two dark spots on his mantle. White spots on his mantle appear and disappear.

einstein1.jpg

einstein3.jpg

einstein4.jpg

einstein6.jpg

Any idea what kind of Octopus he is?

Wasn't planning on finding him, was looking for a frogfish for my 75, but he was the same price as I had planned on spending so I got him. The people at the LFS didn't know what kind he was, but said they'd had him for almost a month so he is probably healthy. He is eating Hermits.

Any useful information would be greatly appreciated! Will post a pic as soon as he gives me the opportunity to take a good one!

If it's eyes are very large, and body is reddish...mabye it could be a Pygmy/Dwarf octopus. Were is your LFS located? If you can, get some pics up and keep us updated.

Pics posted! He appeared rather greenish/blue after uploading pics to the computer.

I sure hope he is a dwarf... I was kinda prepared for MAYBE a Bimac but an even smaller one would rock. As long as he doesn't get ginormous.

Armstrong;80490 said:
If it's eyes are very large, and body is reddish...mabye it could be a Pygmy/Dwarf octopus. Were is your LFS located? If you can, get some pics up and keep us updated.

The one I got this guy at is Dallas North Aquarium.

i work at dallas north aquarium and yes he is eating, both fiddlers and hermits, we have not had him for a month, more like 2 weeks. im glad someone from tonmo bought it though

Animal Mother, I visited Dallas North Aquarium recently and i need cuttle showed me this tiny octopus. At least, I saw its eye! I'm so glad it went to a TONMO person and we'll be able to follow its growth.

Please open a thread in the forum ID Requests (also under Ceph Care and post a couple of your excellent photos (they are wonderful!!)
Describe the little guy and ask for an ID.

Have you named the little guy ?- I'll add him to the List of Our Octopuses.

Nancy

Nancy;80498 said:
Animal Mother, I visited Dallas North Aquarium recently and i need cuttle showed me this tiny octopus. At least, I saw its eye! I'm so glad it went to a TONMO person and we'll be able to follow its growth.

Please open a thread in the forum ID Requests (also under Ceph Care and post a couple of your excellent photos (they are wonderful!!)
Describe the little guy and ask for an ID.

Have you named the little guy ?- I'll add him to the List of Our Octopuses.

Nancy

Great!! I'm glad this little guy's been around the TONMO block then. The guy that I asked about him said he'd been there from 3 weeks to a month. Didn't get his name. Should've. I know I can usually take their words with a grain of salt.

His name is Einstein. We'll hope he lives up to his name. Haha....

lets hope so, most LFS workers dont know alot about octo's/ cuttles so dont be too supprised, if you ever need help when you are at DNA, i would be more then happy to help, My name is Will btw.

Good luck on the octo.

i need cuttle;80563 said:
lets hope so, most LFS workers dont know alot about octo's/ cuttles so dont be too supprised, if you ever need help when you are at DNA, i would be more then happy to help, My name is Will btw.

Good luck on the octo.

Thanks. I knew when I asked the guys what to expect. I asked if it was a Joubini since it was in that tiny critter keeper, and the two standing there looked at each other and shrugged their shoulders like I was speaking a foreign language... I kinda laughed. One of them got the keeper out and pulled the shells away and pulled the rock out... I was thinking.. man that would be bad if this is a Blue Ring.

I will definitely ask for you next time I come in.

How often do y'all get Frogfish there? I am looking for a small one for my 75. 5 incher or so.

we dont get them in that often, but ill see what i can do, do you want a wartskin? or some other type. supprisingly species names do help so if you want a certain species let me know

I snuck in and turned on the light this morning. Einey was gliding across the sand, back to his shell. He didn't retreat fully into it this time though, he actually sat out and stared right back out at me. He has grown slightly in the 4 days I've had him. I walked off, and when I returned he'd snagged another Hermit. I'm getting him Fiddler's today on the way home.

I finally saw Einy come completely out of his den a few minutes ago. I had offered him a Fiddler Crab, pretty much as big as he is. It was a few inches away from the den, and after I turned the lights out it was just a few seconds later out popped Einstein's little alien head.

It only took a few seconds to paralyze the crab, but there was somewhat of a struggle... for about 10 seconds. Then he sat on top of the crab and sucked its guts out. When he was done he spit a big chunk of shell toward me. Then he slowly crept behind the nearest rock, hid for a few seconds, crawled across the sand a few inches to the next rock, peaking out from behind it, looking at me. Then he innocently walked back over to his shell and climbed in.

Hillarious! With all due respect to the crab... I tried to catch it on video but the light was too dim. Maybe he will get adapted to the idea of hanging out when the lights are on and I can get some good footage of him.

Note: I did noticed tiny white spikes around his eyes while he was eating if that helps narrow down his species any. I saw a Mercatoris that looked similar. His head goes from spherical to oblong and pointy on the tip.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back